Stove for use outside van?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, they're the ones that don't work in the cold or the wind; believe me, I've trekked with one in the Landy for years and don't use it at all now that I have the Jetboil.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Broch, the Gas in the fitting cartouches is an in cold conditions weak summergas. But if you live in a Camper and just take it out before cooking, why doesn't it work propperly??? In the camper it keeps a higher temperature, isn't it?

I just used it in relatively warm conditions, by the way.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Jobsworth - I just can't fault it for the money.

I've got this one too - had it over a year now - its been great. It comes with a stabiliser to clip onto the bottom of the gas canister, and an adaptor so that you can use any pot other than the one that comes with it (albeit the supplied one is the most efficient i would have thought).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The X3 version of that stove looks good too. The X2 is 900ml and 1kw power. The X3 is 1.4l and 1.6kw. I'm guessing that the bigger volume of the X3 needs the extra power to match the X2 version.

The X3 costs £20, the X2 costs £29.99 for black or £20 for cammo. Why the cost difference anyway?

Planetx has good stuff but they're pricing is a bit random at times.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i just stick with my trangia. I also have a swedish army one that's smaller, but both get the water hot and don't take up much space. No moving parts and meths and bio fuel is relatively easy to come by, even in the deepest darkest highlands.

Reactions: armie

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
All I can say about the clone is that I've not had to test customer service :)
We've had them for years and years and they've seen a lot of use! The first one doesn't light reliablly after some numpties borrowed it and fiddled with it for no good reason. We tried getting it looked at and adjusted, or buying a replacement piezo lighter, but as the model was no longer available Jetboil just didn't want to know. Still works but you need to bring a lighter in case the piezo spark doesn't catch.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We've had them for years and years and they've seen a lot of use! The first one doesn't light reliablly after some numpties borrowed it and fiddled with it for no good reason. We tried getting it looked at and adjusted, or buying a replacement piezo lighter, but as the model was no longer available Jetboil just didn't want to now. Still works but you need to bring a lighter in case the piezo spark doesn't catch.

Fair play, mine hasn't had that length of time being used :)
I think, even if the piezo lighting didn't work, I'd still be pleased with its boiling performance though.

Reactions: SaraR

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
or
These two would be my choice, depending of I would use it for other cocking as well I would go with the larger one with wind screen and two cockers or the simple one just for water. I have used older versions of both products most of my life and both kits is older than me and still works without problems.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Just got a part conversion on a Vauxhall Vivaro. No kitchen but most of rest of it done. What would you carry in it for a brew?

When camping we'd just use one of many camping stoves but I was thinking of something stashed for when we stop and want a brew. Or when first pitching up with the van and making the brew while getting straight for the night

I've got the venerable trangia such with the gas conversion makes our dinner and normally brews. We've got various gas, meths and a woodburning stove (honey stove). There's even an esbit stove somewhere. I'm thinking a Kelly Kelly type might be good?

I used to go out with a conservation charity and one branch in Cumbria used a large kettle for team brews from the van. Someone would always get sent back to make the brew while we carried on working. Nothing better than sitting around with a hot brew when you've been working in the wet. It's my only experience of them so never sure they're that practical for a van brew up. Those days we would be working in the countryside with trees and dry twigs close to the van. Usually the person walking back to the van would pick the twigs needed on the way. Easy. It might not be that easy parked up in a layby or carpark by the beach or similar.

I am curious about what people on here might recommend from experience of similar or of the various possibilities.
Well when I had a camper it had a sort of indoor outdoor stove fitted, a Fellows gas twin burner that could be used indoors or swung out the sliding door and locked in place to be used outside the van - of which also produced a better height for cooking on. The cooker unit could also be removed from the ran for even more remote cooking or in my case freeing up space to haul crap to the dump. But cooking without a van fitted cooker, any cooker you like.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
After reading about it a bit on here I got one of the 1400ml Jobsworth Jetboil type stoves the other day.
Dunno what its like long term but it sure does chuck out some BTUs. Its also cleaner to get fired up than my Svea 123R and more layby friendly than my Kelly Kettle.

Reactions: Broch

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
After reading about it a bit on here I got one of the 1400ml Jobsworth Jetboil type stoves the other day.
Dunno what its like long term but it sure does chuck out some BTUs. Its also cleaner to get fired up than my Svea 123R and more layby friendly than my Kelly Kettle.

Where do you find them? Do these have a name?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you want similar check out Alpkit. They were not showing any stock but Keswick shop thought Ambleside had some a few weeks back. Might be back in stock. Pretty much the same thing, cheap jetboil?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE