Storm Fun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Aye Up,

Sounds like you've had it pretty bad DaveO - and what are the government doing about? - Nothing as usual!

I'm still waiting for an air drop of emergency supplies. Some biscuits would be nice, we're down to the last packet. On the plus side I have got a free hanging basket now :27:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
A while ago, we had a big fire in a scrap yard, right under the main pylon that feeds the town. When the cables melted, it took about 12hours before the electricity boads to repair them. Probably small beer for those who live in remote areas, or are being pounded by the current srrom.

But having some basic preps in place, we had a comfortable time of it.
It was winter time, so by the time I got back from work, it was dark. The paraffin pressure lamp came out first, as that is a good reliable unit.
Not very bushcrafty, but the next thing was to get the little cheepo 2stroke generator out, and the suicide lead (a length of cable with a 13A plug on both ends). Knock the main isolators off the consumer unit and back power the house through a socket in the shed.
So where as most houses had the odd flash of torch light and a candle in the window, we were fully powered up. We could also run the central heating, so kids baths could be done and the house warmed through. (Supprisingly we still had gas, as I'd have expected the distribution to have been down, given the wide area of the outage. Otherwise more camp kit would have come out.)
Those simple steps and we pretty much didn't notice any difference from a typical evening.

Later on, I shut the generator down, and we dropped back to camp lighting. As my daughtrer was about 5yo at the time, it was all just fun. The next time she came to see me, she asked if we could have another power cut.

But being in a large town, outages are so rare that people don't have any backup options. I suspect that others around me had a less pleasent time of it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Short arms and deep pockets is all some do to plan for a power outage.
You're no different than here.

The high speed wind won't kill you, it's the rubbish in the wind that does the job.
Stay safe.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It turns out I'd focused so much prepping on stopping my bin getting blown away that I neglected the barbeque which is now on it's side and will need standing up again. My neighbour has also lost a hanging basket. It's carnage frankly :(

I'm still waiting for an air drop of emergency supplies. Some biscuits would be nice, we're down to the last packet. On the plus side I have got a free hanging basket now :27:

:lmao:If only we had a rep button. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE