Storm Fun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Is it just me or are you hoping for a power cut tonight so you have an excuse to play with paraffin lamps? :eek:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Nope I'm bricking it because I forgot to get milton tablets for the baby bottles so we've only got the microwave steriliser to rely on. The wife won't notice until the power goes though :eek:

The full extent of my hurricane preparedness was putting a brick on top of the food waste bin.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can put them into a pot, cover them with water and just boil them. That'll sterilise them just fine.

M....who's storm prep was literally putting the wee fig tree into the greenhouse with the begonias and rescuing two flying heathers.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Of course... it's a perfect excuse to justify all the stoves and lanterns one has acquired :D

Good idea.:)

Though the wind is unlikely to get up too much here, I have caused my own mini power cut by attempting to screw a new bulb in the kitchen light while the metal base of the old bulb must have broken away and was still in the socket. Huge flash and bang, me on a stepladder in pitch dark, dog quivering under the table. :lmao:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Too right but not so that I can test my own prep, its to see what happens with everyone else!

I long for a simple, 5 day nationwide power outage to see if that former MP for agriculture's theory of 9 meals from disaster is true?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I lived through the power cuts and the fuel shortages, bread and sugar shortages, yadda, yadda, yadda, of the seventies. I still have a box of 'power cut tallow candles' in the shed. There's over fifty of them :rolleyes:
On the whole powercuts rapidly become boring :sigh:

That said, I still keep a good pantry :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Come here with all your kit. You can practice almost weekly.
Every kid, 8-10 and older, must be able to step up if you're incapacitated.

+4C with a strong wind and rain.
Just about enough to drop some trees along some power line.
McBride is at the end of a 500 mile line so anything can happen.

All the same, I wish you well. I read the H. Ophelia has killed 3 already.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
You can put them into a pot, cover them with water and just boil them. That'll sterilise them just fine.

M....who's storm prep was literally putting the wee fig tree into the greenhouse with the begonias and rescuing two flying heathers.

Good idea. Luckily at the moment he prefers his food directly from the cow :rolleyes:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I lived through the power cuts and the fuel shortages, bread and sugar shortages, yadda, yadda, yadda, of the seventies. I still have a box of 'power cut tallow candles' in the shed. There's over fifty of them :rolleyes:
On the whole powercuts rapidly become boring :sigh:

That said, I still keep a good pantry :D

M

I just about remember 'The Winter of Discontent'. The phrase was taken by Callaghan from Shakespeare's Richard III. What a truly stiff upper lip British description that was, it could have been called "The government is switching your electricity off every night because Callaghan is in disagreement with the miners", but discontent it was. I still have my dads old Vapalux lantern that we'd prime every evening and sit round the kitchen table playing cards with the lamp hissing away. Then us kids would go off to bed with a candlestick for light. Luckily we had a big fireplace, it was a cold winter.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Refilled, ready to go:

36839598672_ac248cb1d6_z.jpg

Not needed.

Hope everyone came through it OK.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are beautiful :D
I checked over the old Tilley and made sure we had batteries for the led ring things. They sit tidily on top of candlesticks and work just like good table lights :D

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Power cuts indeed, if the power were off, or my phone line were blown down, I would not be posting here tonight would I? I went down to my allotment to check on the fences earlier but nothing untoward, not so much the tail end of a hurricane as Winnie the Pooh and a blustery day.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Those are beautiful :D
I checked over the old Tilley and made sure we had batteries for the led ring things. They sit tidily on top of candlesticks and work just like good table lights :D

M

Thanks, bought off ebay a couple of years back, just needed the wicks and away they went.

I wouldn't trust the finger hold when lit. :eek:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Not needed.

Hope everyone came through it OK.

It turns out I'd focused so much prepping on stopping my bin getting blown away that I neglected the barbeque which is now on it's side and will need standing up again. My neighbour has also lost a hanging basket. It's carnage frankly :(

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Do you really have to wait for a powercut? - just 'accidentally' knock the fuse switches ...

Your only problem then is stopping your missus looking out the window and discovering everyone else in the street still has power....

I'm turning into my dad walking round the house shouting at the kids to turn the lights off when they leave a room! In the depths of winter - up here- it's light from around 10am to 3pm - fairly often that a cloudy grey dreary light.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE