Storing me cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Just purchased 100' of quality paracord and whilst admiring the bundle i was wondering the best way to store it without it turning into a tangled mess in my pack.

I have considered a short piece of broom stick dowel or a natural branch of apprx 12" long and to wrap the cord around it, not sure how to tie it off everytime i use abit, but it's the best idea so far i've come up with

So any other tips for storing it in your pack so as it's not left in a tangled mess ( other than a plastic bag )?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just purchased 100' of quality paracord and whilst admiring the bundle i was wondering the best way to store it without it turning into a tangled mess in my pack.

I have considered a short piece of broom stick dowel or a natural branch of apprx 12" long and to wrap the cord around it, not sure how to tie it off everytime i use abit, but it's the best idea so far i've come up with

So any other tips for storing it in your pack so as it's not left in a tangled mess ( other than a plastic bag )?

Guessing you know to melt the ends after cutting? A bit of flat board with curves cut into each end and a slot cut on the side will allow you to wind the cord around the board then trap the end in the slot - a bit like one of these:

78607499_l.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A small stuff sack-push it in, pull it out. It wont tangle much because its in the bag. I always carry spare line in a little waterproof pertex DIY stuff sack, works well for me.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I normally hank cordage around my thumb and pinky, 100ft is a big old chunk though, with that kind of length I'd go from the base of my thumb and round my elbow, finishing off with a few wraps around and then a half hitch

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Good tips chaps, i do like the board idea though Mountainm, i may give that a bash over the weekend and try my branch idea with a notch in the top to keep the end secure....

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
I normally hank cordage around my thumb and pinky, 100ft is a big old chunk though, with that kind of length I'd go from the base of my thumb and round my elbow, finishing off with a few wraps around and then a half hitch

thats how i do it and finnish of as i would a rope,nice and easy

bearbait

You could coil it as Shewie suggests and seize the coil in two or three places with lighter stuff, or even a couple of short pieces cut from it. If you coil your cord with figure 8s the cord will come off the coil with no twists (assuming you didn't put any in to start with!). If you do figure 8 it I'd seize the top, bottom and middle of the 8 to keep it tidy, fold in half and stick it in your pack, maybe in a bag as has been suggested. As paracord is relatively fine you'd need to take care with the figure 8s. (Unless you have a reel figure 8s are also the best way I've found for hose pipe.)

Unless you have a real application for 100' of cord I'd cut my 100' of cord into three or four shorter pieces and coil them individually; that way I've got three/four cords and not one. If I need a longer piece I just join two or more.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
After a play around with it last night ( not literally a S&M session you understand! ) i came to the conclusion that splitting it down into sizeable chunks is a better option for storing etc, as i don't yet have a tarp shelter set up etc, the cord is for general use only.

I've split it into 3 bits @ 30' lengths, 1 will remain in my Landy wrapped around a branch, another in my pack and another in Fox's pack. I've asked her to come up with a neat idea to store it as women tend to look at these things differently, so I'm interested in what she does with it.

For myself I've found a birch branch which I've notched at both ends and then produced a hole at one end which i then wrap the cord around and feed through the hole and into the notch which has made a natural split in the wood to ' bite ' onto the cord to keep it from becoming loose.

Will post a pic when i get my camera outside as indoor pics are useless on this phone :)

S

sccadmin

New to paracord donuts but beginning to think they're the way forward, fursty ferret isn't strictly essential but helps the time pass when making all the knots!

paracord%20donut.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE