Stone for sharpening knives & axes with in UK

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
That is including the shipping from Japan and duty here.
I did expect something fantastic. Got a flattened piece of natural rock.
Bah...

that is the traditional sharpening and honing stuff there. Has a name (in Japanese) which I forgot.
Came in a nicely made box though.


I got the knives I bought straight from the artisan for a really good price though.
Lose some, win some!
And always learn something!
 
I wonder if there was an element of truth in this in that a stone suitable for carving tombs from was also good for use as a whetstone. Anyone know tales of country folk sharpening scythes on tombstones?[/QUOTE]


Many years ago while doing some work around Blackrod (near Bolton) a church there had many ancient graves with gouges in the 'lids' of tombs... allegedly,we were told, from Cromwell's army sharpening swords on them...
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE