stone carved heads

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just tried my hand at stone carving and engraving on Old Red Sandstone from the Brecon Beacons.
The left head was carved with a Buck knife - and wrecked the edge:rolleyes: the right hand one was engraved with a Dremel clone and oiled.
The righthand one started looking like a well respected avatar, so I went with the flow...
Jun24123.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Many thanks for the kind comments folks.
I do not see a future in porous sandstone cups so I will stick to "sculpture":D
To be honest this is my third attempt at stone work.
When my mother and father died, some years apart, they were both cremated and their ashes scattered in a place that meant a lot to them both. I carved/engraved small Old Red Sandstone memorials to them - a thistle for my mother (she was a proud Scot), a simple celtic cross based on one inside Nevern church for my father - using two pieces of one rock which had split to give two workable faces.The stones fit together, face to face, though other bits that broke off are missing so the rock is not complete. Strangely I had kept the piece I had not used for my mothers memorial over the several years before my father died and was able to make the "two are one" memorials from the same rock....
The work was done with busted files and a lot of effort!
The results are not worth photographing but mean a lot to me.

These two pieces were just for fun and are now "household gods" or "home spirits" as oposed to the carved wooden "woodland spirits" seen in some recent posts.
I have several more good sized and good shape stones to play with yet so my skills may yet improve....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The heads are small paperweight size - thanks for the kind words RB, they mean a lot coming from someone whos art is helping inspire my efforts at getting artistic!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been playing with rocks again.....
Jul16207.jpg

ahead based on a fusion of Celtic and North American "false face "society masks
Jul16206.jpg

a maze pattern - Minoan or celtic?
Does someone have this pattern as their Avatar?
Poor photos I am afraid...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE