Stone Age Experiment in Oxford - looking for participants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Palaeocory

Forager
Hi everyone,

I'm running an experiment in Oxford and am looking for volunteer participants. It is a stone knapping study where participants who have never knapped before will learn how to make stone age handaxes in different (possibly unconventional!) ways. We will meet for three 2 hour sessions at the beginning of February, with 4 different options listed below. Although I can't offer payment for participating, everyone will be given a knapping starter kit as a thank-you, including gloves, goggles, a hammerstone, piece of leather and piece of flint.

I ran this experiment as a smaller pilot study last year and it was a lot of fun. It's indoors, I provide snacks, and bring some props and ancient artefacts to teach people a bit about the stone age and stone tool manufacturing, and tips on taking up knapping as a hobby.

Here is an information sheet with more details: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B322GWKTSKzNQnowQ2FnN0RNbFU/view?usp=sharing

The group times are listed on this image as is my email address (or just PM me!):

Twitterknappingad_zpsfvi3bjpd.png

Palaeocory

Forager
The ethics proposal I submitted asks if I will be dealing with people older than 65 - it's just to avoid the 'working with vulnerable populations' thing. It's not prejudice on my part! The best knapper in the UK is much older than 65 ;)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi Cory,

I would be up for this, if I had not of been playing around with flint knapping last year.

I have forward this to a few mate in the local area to see if they are available.

hope it all goes well.

Cheers Tim

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The ethics proposal I submitted asks if I will be dealing with people older than 65 - it's just to avoid the 'working with vulnerable populations' thing. It's not prejudice on my part! The best knapper in the UK is much older than 65 ;)

I'm surprised that this sort of discrimination is not breaking UK law.:confused:

Have you actually confirmed the legality of this?:news:

I hope you have, I really do;)

Steve ( not 65-YET)

Palaeocory

Forager
I'm surprised that this sort of discrimination is not breaking UK law.:confused:

Have you actually confirmed the legality of this?:news:

I hope you have, I really do;)

Steve ( not 65-YET)

It's not saying I can't, I could also work with minors - I just have to make that a part of my application, and it's easier to not. Ethics boards are there to make sure your experiment is safe for people and you're not hurting them physically or mentally, what kind of personal details you are taking and how you are handling them, etc. Since I'm working with heavy materials that are sharp and can cut, and people have to stay seated for 2 hours, I thought it'd be better to just target the 18-65 group.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE