Stolen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Well the TV, computer, clothes and "padding" etc, including my sleeping bags, have been found dumped by the road on a local hill. All the clothes and both my sleeping bags have been slashed into ribbons. It makes me so mad I daren't say much more until I have calmed down.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
zambezi said:
I also scan my drivers licence, passport, travel insurance certificates and other travel documents before leaving home. I then encrypt [self-decrypting archive] all the jpegs and send them to one of my web mail addresses. Should I lose [or have stolen] all my luggage and documents whilst on holiday, I can readily confirm my identity to the relevant authorities after a trip to the nearest internet cafe. And these seem to be fairly obiquitous, even in the planet's backwaters.

Vince
Nice tip back Vince ;) and make sure it is a password protected self-extracting file just in case and make sure it it deleted off the internet cafe computer ( I guess it is possible to still retrieve it? On a Mac I can use a secure delete which permanently trashes it.)

Guess you could also carry one of those cheap tiny USB keys on your key ring with the same info on it then you have access even without Internet access.

Very sorry to hear about that wanton destruction Chris :(. Was the bear skin there too?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
The bearskin was (luckily?) not in the pile, thanks Simon
Re: information deletion. I use Cyberscrub, which is a rather good permanent deletion tool. Obviously this doesn't apply to most internet cafes, but most have extremely high tech security as they're otherwise open to attack which affects the business. The one just down the road from me performs some all-over wipe after each user has left it.

S

Skippy

have a demo (display model) laptop fill it with something that goes with a very loud bang and some flying splinters with a proximity fuse, so if they go more than so far from the house they go up with the goods

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
arctic hobo said:
Well the TV, computer, clothes and "padding" etc, including my sleeping bags, have been found dumped by the road on a local hill. All the clothes and both my sleeping bags have been slashed into ribbons. It makes me so mad I daren't say much more until I have calmed down.

Again, this sounds like somebody has a bit of a grudge.

It's nowt to do with me but this seems a bit unlikely that yer average smackhead thief would bother with this kind of stuff.

I might be wrong but....

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
demographic said:
Again, this sounds like somebody has a bit of a grudge.

It's nowt to do with me but this seems a bit unlikely that yer average smackhead thief would bother with this kind of stuff.

I might be wrong but....

I have to agree, its that time of year again where Llandudno is home to the lowlifes that have a habit of staying for the summer and doing a lot of break ins... Seasonal claimants I think they are called. At least in polite company.

Back to my point... No one, even a drug user, would take items of dubious value and go through all that stress and hassle, not to mention the risk of getting caught only to dump and destroy the items in such a malicious way.

Sure, I could accept that after failing to sell the items, they may be dumped, but to do that kind of damage? Malicious to me. Burning would remove any forensics evidence, but slashing the stuff into ribbons? Sounds like someone has a grudge. This kind of thing happened when I was at uni. A lot of people really hate students...

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Artcic Hobo. I had 2 wheels stolen off my car last week and was extremely angry as you were. They left the car on the jack which they must have brought with them. The car wasn't broken into (thankfully) although I never leave any of my bushcraft gear in it, or anything of value for that matter. I have my suspicions as to who may have done this, as there is a very rough, and well known family living nearby, but knocking on their door would probably bring me a lot of trouble unless I knew for sure and could inform the police, it's more trouble that I really don't want. I know what I'd like to do to these cretins, and it wouldn't be sitting down for tea and cakes !......Low life maggots! Cost me £332 quid for a new set of wheels and tyres (can only buy a set of 4) I had to get a taxi over to Halfords to get them(£28) round trip. I was going to trawl the scrap yards but that would have worked out expensive in the taxi and they don't look for you, you have to go there yourself and see what they've got. Another use for Birch was to flog people like this. Sounds like a good idea to me.....Any of the parties planning to bring it back in their election manifestos will get my vote !!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Aaaaaarrrrrr!!!!! I can't say on BCUK what I'd like to say about people that do this....but if you find out who it was Chirs, then I'd be more than happy to come down with my angry German shepherd to help "persuade" them to give you your stuff back!!!! and thats a genuin offer Mate.

I too will keep an eye out on Ebay for ya...

Chin up Buddy! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE