Stitching on DD tree huggers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
Hey guys,

I know a lot of forum users are familiar with DD hammocks and I wondered if anyone else has had problems with the stitching on their tree huggers? Earlier tonight, I set my hammock up in the garden, got in and after about 20 seconds, there was a snap and I landed with a thud! This happened a while ago too, maybe a week or so after I'd first got the hammock, and I'm very disappointed in the quality of the stitching on these straps. Everything else from DD has always been very well made and their customer service is brilliant, as I found out when I messaged them about the first tree hugger breaking, but I am disappointed with the lack of care and attention that goes into this stitching. I weigh around 210lbs, so it's not like there is too much weight being put on the stitching either, it just doesn't seem to be strong enough. The stitching has come undone on two straps I've used (leaving me on my backside both times!) and a third has started to come undone to the point where I don't trust it in the slightest. I've currently got a broken hand which is a fair bit sorer now than before the fall, which is frustrating and it's probably the reason why I'm making this thread because I don't like to complain usually but I do think DD should address the issue, assuming it's not just me who has been unfortunate enough to stumble upon the problem.

The last time this happened, DD were kind enough to sent a replacement strap but I'm not sure if I want another one or whether I should just do the stitching myself because the single box stitch is clearly inadequate and I don't trust others to do a good enough job. I will message them about it though because it's a design flaw which they can quite easily fix and I hope they do. As I said, I've got nothing but positive things to say about other DD products and their customer service but I find it odd that on the weakest part of a hammock set up, they just use one box stitch when they could be more thorough and make it a lot more secure, especially for those who are heavier than me and may require added strength.

I'll email them tomorrow and let you know what their response is, anyway!

Has anyone else had similar issues? And for anyone who has modified their straps, what stitching did you use to add strength? I'm thinking 6 rows of bar tacks will be stronger, or maybe 2 with a box stitch as well.

Sorry for the rant! And if anyone is thinking of buying a DD product and stumbles upon this thread, please don't be deterred because this post! DD are a fantastic company and I'm sure you'll love their hammocks and tarps. I can't recommend them highly enough, although I hope they improve their stitching on their tree huggers, if only for the sake of my backside! :D

Thanks,
Jack

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
One thought - How are you hanging your hammock? If the angle from the tree is less than 30 degrees the amount of force you can exert on those straps can be extreme. The flatter the lay the more force is applied.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
you could always just buy some climbing webbing and just make your own tree huggers, just tie a loop in the ends with a overhand knot instead of sewing, you can get some really cheap very strong polyester tubular webbing, (i'd get the polyester it doesn't stretch as much as nylon and has better abrasion resistance) just google tubular webbing, its used as parachute webbing, climbing tape (webbing sometimes called tape in climbing) or slackline tape. etc.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Any suspension system should be over tested and not leave the user with any doubts at all. It's simple, and appplied to all climbing and suspension equipment.

All my tree surgery stuff, ropes and slings, have to be tested and meet LOLER specs. So, your slings shouldn't be dumping you on the ground. If you'd bust your back, coccyx etc, there could be serious legal implications.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE