Stinging Nettle - Yum!

Hi Everyone!

It seems that Europe and Scandinavia have more extensive histories using stinging nettle for food than we do in the United States. Is this a misconception on my part?

Stinging nettle is one of my favorite edible greens. I love the taste of cooked nettle, especially mixed with spinach. So I gladly brave its formidable defenses.

Here is a link to some thoughts on harvesting, processing, and consuming nettle. It also has my favorite recipe for preparing them.

Stinging Nettle - Yum!

Do you have a favorite nettle recipe you can share? A harvesting technique? Ever been on the receiving end of stinging nettle?

- Woodsorrel

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Could you tell us your quantities please, I've never made soup with just ramsons and nettle ?
I use 1lb nettle tops and 1/2lb Ransom leaves and 3 large spuds to 4 pints of chicken stock.
Sweat 2 rashers of lean bacon and the spuds In a large pan for about 5 mins. Add shredded nettles and Ramsons. Add stock and boil until spuds are soft. Mash or liquidise.
Serve garnished with Ransom flower buds and or a swirl of cream and croutons :)
This has been named "Troll Snot" by my friends!
Sometimes I add a big stalk of Alexanders, pealed and chopped along with the the nettles.

I use 1lb nettle tops and 1/2lb Ransom leaves and 3 large spuds to 4 pints of chicken stock.
Sweat 2 rashers of lean bacon and the spuds In a large pan for about 5 mins. Add shredded nettles and Ramsons. Add stock and boil until spuds are soft. Mash or liquidise.
Sometimes I add a big stalk of Alexanders, pealed and chopped along with the the nettles.

Hi John Fenna!

It just caught my eye that the recipe says boil, then liquidise. Do you then reheat before serving, or serve it cool after liquidising?

- Woodsorrel

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just the fact that you like spinach says it all for me :p

Tried a few samples in various ways but I am yet to be converted. Same goes for spinach.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi John Fenna!

It just caught my eye that the recipe says boil, then liquidise. Do you then reheat before serving, or serve it cool after liquidising?

- Woodsorrel
You can reheat it after liqidising - or, as I do, freeze it for use all year round.
I tend to make a couple of gallons at a go when the crops are at their best :)

Just the fact that you like spinach says it all for me :p

Tried a few samples in various ways but I am yet to be converted. Same goes for spinach.

Haha! I understand completely. Spinach was an acquired taste for me, heavily bathed in butter, salt, with a touch of lemon. :)

I do like nettles quite a bit... and harvesting them yourself improves their flavor! :)

In my area we have a plentiful resource: The nuts from the California Bay Laurel Tree. Roasting drives away the heavy oils in the nuts. But I just can't stomach the nuts no matter how fastidiously I process them. When they are in season, I look wistfully at the trees as I hike by...

- Woodsorrel

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Could you tell us your quantities please, I've never made soup with just ramsons and nettle ?

What he said, although vegetable stock also works well, as does leaving out the bacon and adding onion/leek. Rice can also be used to thicken the soup if it is blended with the liquid. Up to you, what flavours you like, and what is in season at the time :)

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Mmmmm thanks guys. Sounds tasty indeed.. What's wrong with spinach? Its the dogs when raw, cook it and it goes to crap...

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES

Thanks John
I too am going to give this a go next week
Troll snot Yum!
A bit of crusty french stick with Welsh butter on will help this go down.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Here is my recipe with a twist Nettle soup with the sting put back.

Ingreidents

For 2 persons

A good 2 or 3 handfulls of Nettle tops

1 large onion

3 cloves of garlic

1 Teaspoonfull of hot chilli powder or Kashmiri masala

1 Oz of butter/ 1 tbl spoon of oil

3/4 pt of milk

Salt and pepper to season

Method

finely Chop the onion and garlic,
Melt the butter in a pan with the oil, add the onions cook until soft, add the garlic cook for a couple of minutes.Next add the Kashmiri masala.
Now add the nettle tops and cook until wilted, add the salt pepper and chilli powder cook these for about a minute or so add a little water and blend to a paste now add the milk and slowly heat do not bring to the boil, I normally have it with some lightly toasted brown bread and good butter

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE