Stiffening leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have obtained a batch of leather which I would like to make some sheaths from but it is very soft.

Is there any way to stiffen it in any way or is it a case of 'a couple of nice supple bags' and get some thick leather for the sheath!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Whether the leather is any good for sheath making depends on what type of sheath you wish to make, and the thickness of the leather. If it's thick enough but too soft for your liking you could try soaking a piece for a short while (10 mins or so) in hot (NOT boiling) water, then drying it slowly compressed between two boards of MDF. Plain MDF is good for this as it is nice and absorbent, wicking the moisture out of the leather whilst keeping it flat. A couple of days in the airing cupboard should do it, then remove boards and let air-dry thoroughly before starting work. This will usually stiffen leather up nicely, but it may begin to soften again as you flex and bend it whilst making the item.
Others who know more about leather than I do may know a better way, but this method has worked for me in the past, so may well be worth you trying on an odd scrap or offcut before committing the piece you want to make the sheath from.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Probably the best way if the leather is thick enough for sheath making would be to do it after completion.
Make the sheath as normal. Wet form it if thats the way you want to go ( wet forming tutorials abound here) Once its dry it will be stiff. If its still not stiff enough you can make it go rock solid - or any state in between.
My leather water bottle are hard enough that they can be run over by a car and survive ( yes this has happened) They have to be that hard to survive knocks on the battlefield.
The method for a sheath would be as follows.
Melt some beeswax in a bain marie (double boiler) then with a hair dryer heat your sheath.
do not heat it so much that it burns tho - touch heat is fine. Then paint it with beeswax. the beeswax will be absorbed into the leather making it stiffer. Yuo can keep doing this heating painting cycle untill it absorbs no more - if you go this far it will be solid and a lot heavier. I would just give it a couple of coats. My water bottles are done in a slightly different way - i immerse them entirely in a 3 gallon bath of molten wax for about 45 secs :D - not for the faint hearted :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I always thought it depends on the type of tanning process.
I have some oil tanned leather I made my Moocasins from which is really soft and plyable. It wont wet form at all.
Veg tanned will wet from fine though.

Anybody know how to tell what tanning method was used on a piece of leather - besides ask the person you're buting it from !!!

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE