Stiff Upper Lip / Shared Suffering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
< Warning!! - Absolutley not bushcrafty at all >

Interested to hear some thoughts on the following as have been in a introspective mood of late;-

Q1) What does "Stiff Upper Lip" mean to you? Good/Bad thing?

Q2) Is a little occasional " Shared Suffering" good for people??

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Q1) More of a bad thing personally..A bit lacking in emotion down my way.

Q2) If it brings people together...

I was stuck in a queue in the post office for 10 mins today.Cant say that was very good.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
o.k well I'm not sure about the second one but I reckon I can give my part on the first.

Stiff upper lip to me is encapsulated by one of the key virtues of the Royal Marines: "Courage in the face of adversity"

Stiff upper lip is bearing and over coming troubled times even when everything is counting against you. Stiff upper lip is never giving up on anything no matter how hard the situation, in a sense stiff upper lip is another way of saying "He showed some spine"

Well that's what it means to me, and yes I think it's a good thing especially because if you can show "stiff upper lip" sometimes others can draw strength from you and feel more secure.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
This is the third try at an attempt to answer :eek: .

The best I can do is - It depends on the situation and those around you; and to be honest, probably more the latter.

In my own experience, a good mate will support as best they can - and sometimes they know when to let you fall and then be there to help you pick up the pieces (we all need to scream at some point).

The only thing anyone can do is try - and try with dignity.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The reason I ask was not so much sparked from this programme ,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w02db

but it encapsulated the underlying sentiment ( during the WWII stage ) that I have been privileged to witness from mixing with an older generation who were my age at the time of the Blitz ,ration Books , Human loss of friends and family etc.
I currently think ( may change ) that a little shared suffering ( in a generation of society ) makes one revaluate personal values and perceived 'needs' or at least manages to make one understand the differences between 'wants' and 'needs'. I'm not sure because it makes an individual really understand the placement of self and the whole Maslow hierarchy thing??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

I am assuming that in other countries and generations this would be a universal rule ,but that would be open for conjecture.

With regards to 'Stiff Upper Lip' I can see how it can be a double edged trait , to me I think its, < searching for an eloquent way to state it..> , could be defined as an act of 'Self enforced repression of publically displayed personal feelings?' But its more than that, its getting on and getting it done , its being knocked down 8 times standing back up 9 times ,Its a sort of self discipline to act in a courageous,selfless(?) manner.
The downside ( as being a double edged trait ) I can see is that in THIS time and generation we are told not to bottle up emotions , to shout if angry or angered by someone and use it as a cartharsis to expel negative feelings. Not to repress.

None of the above is an Answer , as ever I have more Confirmed questions than credible Answers.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Nic Aspera Terrent! (difficulties be damned) stiff upper lip is courage in the face of adversity and overcoming the odds no matter what ;)

as for shared suffering, well we all have to put up with the x-factor eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE