Stick Making and Identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Made this today from a piece I picked up a while back.

What's the best protection? Will any old varnish do the job?

Also, can anyone confirm what wood it is. I think possbly hazel but I'm not at all certain.

9d1d0f7ba25a9bd3acacb4d4b12b188b.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, hazel. I tend to just rub down with bee's wax or bee's wax mixed with a little oil rather than varnish which is less likely to penetrate and can start looking tatty where you hold the stick. Wax/oil gives a nice natural look. But as Bob says, if it's a user, anything you have to hand that will just stop it splitting.

Reactions: Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice!
I hate plastic varnish and use a mix of teak oil and Danish oil, finished with a beeswax and teak oil polish.
At present I would use whatever you have handy....

Reactions: Toddy

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Message me your address and I’ll pop a book on stickmaking in the post. Don’t think I’ll ever get round to making them !

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Best would be bronze or 316L SS. Brass would be the easiest and in most cases quite satisfactory. Ordinary steel would take rust fast especially if it ever ends in sea water. If the rust does not bother 3 mm thickness material would last a long time.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We've had this conversation before so I may as well put my two pence worth in :)

I do not put ferules on the majority of my walking sticks especially the users. OK, the tip wears a bit but I've never had one split. I have sticks that I'm still using after twenty years that don't have any kind of ferrule. I can't stand the noise a metal ferrule makes on a hard surface (or that anybody else's stick makes for that matter) and I don't like the look of rubber ones. Rubber slips on wet grass/clay and metal slips on stone/tarmac - wood is a great compromise.

Where I have used one, to finish a 'show' stick or something I've variously used copper piping, brass turned fittings or, on very rare occasions, commercial walking stick ferrules.

Interesting thoughts.

I too have used copper piping, though not as a ferule, more as a join but it worked really well.

I quickly put together two random pieces I had lieing around so my daughter had a stick of her own because as every child does, she always wanted what daddy has so whatever stick I was using immediately became hers. Now, even at 2 and a half she wont leave the house without it if we going out for a walk
67b7b0e7313a901ef9670b2b2b42700b.jpg
3011f776cbb714554587269accc5028a.jpg

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Reactions: bobnewboy and Broch

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Weather to have anything at all is a slightly different subject. With the few very temporary sticks I have used it did not matter. A metal shoe could be shaped to take a rubber insert.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lee Valley hardware has a whole section on findings for cane-making.

My sense of balance is damaged so I walk with a cane. I have 3 diamond willow canes.
I was measured and the canes were cut to fit me to keep my shoulders level and my back straight.

Call it plastic varnish if you like. 4 coats of MinWax Tung Oil Protective Finish.
It's a mix of things and really snaps out the wood colors and grain. Very durable.

All mine have the common black rubber tips, they are secure in both summer and snowy winters.
I could have spikes attached. Thought it over. No better than the rubber knob and I need the cane in my house.

Get the topper big enough so it doesn't hurt to hold (arthritis) and spreads the load
when you need to stop and lean on the cane.

I'm getting better at walking again. But I stop and the top half of me wants to keep going
so I need the cane out in front to keep from tipping over on my face!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE