Steel Strikers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I own two different steel strikers for my flint and steel kits. One is from a company called Black Bear Haversack. Its a "Hudson Bay" type striker with a huge, 1/4" wide strike face...its actually too big and only does a mediocre job. Its so big and heavy its probably better suited as a billet for flintknapping. My other striker was ordered from Ray Mears and is, of course, perfect. I love its size and lightweight...it also gives off showers of sparks when struck against a piece of flint. However, its too expensive. Once I get it shipped to Canada the cost is way too much.

I'd like to find a striker similar to Rays but a bit more cost effective. Anyone have any suggestions? Where do you get your strikers from?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I 've had a couple from Dave Budd, both throw a great series of sparks. Others have bought them from John Fenna who does a fire starting kit called 'Dragons Breathe'.

Both are members on here. There are other makers but I can't recall them at the moment

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
what about wildertools.net - I'd love some of Rick's kit - he's in canada to so you'll save on the postage costs

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just get an old file, stick it straight up in a vice and whack it with a sledge to break off the deisred sized piece. It's a rectangle piece of file and doesn't look as pretty but it'll work just as well and it's free.

Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out, the ones from Woodlore end up being about $5 more than some of the other sites I've been looking at. So I just ordered up another one from Ray.

I do like the ones Primal Connection sells and will probably get one from them as well. Steels are like knives, or anything in bushcraft for that matter...I can never have too many :)

Not quite what you are looking for but have a look anyway: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71382

I can always make you one up to your specs next time I get into the forge.

All the best
Andy

Thanks Andy, let me know when you're back in the forge. I might like to take you up on that offer.

Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Btw, I am Grizzly2k1....I just changed my name to something a little catchier. Think I might just stick around this forum for a while. Some good guys here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE