Steel barrel

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on your definition of 'a lot of heat' a biscuit tin will do if 'a lot' is a couple or three hundred degrees. It willalso do 1600 if you properly insulate it ;) I'veseveral gas forges made from nothing thicker than a tea urn, camping gas stove can (the disposable ones), metal flue pipe from a kitchen chimney

beer kegs can sometimes be got from pubs if you ask nicely, but rarely

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Have a look at the local skip for a washing machine. Stainless steel drum can be made into a nice fire basket which can be left out side at all times - not very portable but good for a garden heater.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
All the sizes are in gallons. Used to work as a dreyman for tetleys brewery and we always refered to size in gallons.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Casks and Kegs remain the property of the brewery.
They are not the publicans property to give away irrespective of the length of time the container has been on the pub premises.
If a brewery has ceased to trade the containers will be owned by either the receivers or the new brewery owner.
A company called Kegwatch actively searches and monitors forums etc as well as other outlets in order to track down misappropriated containers.
At around £75 + VAT each they are not a cheap commodity for anyone to lose to theft.
If you accept a container that does not have written transfer of ownership from the brewery stamped on it to yourself you are in receipt of stolen goods and liable to prosecution.

Either buy a re-conditioned one from Close Brewery Rentals ad linked here : http://siba.co.uk/classifieds/show-ad/?id=2898

or buy a new one from any of the suppliers but don't steal from a brewery.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
thank you for the link !

Casks and Kegs remain the property of the brewery.
They are not the publicans property to give away irrespective of the length of time the container has been on the pub premises.
If a brewery has ceased to trade the containers will be owned by either the receivers or the new brewery owner.
A company called Kegwatch actively searches and monitors forums etc as well as other outlets in order to track down misappropriated containers.
At around £75 + VAT each they are not a cheap commodity for anyone to lose to theft.
If you accept a container that does not have written transfer of ownership from the brewery stamped on it to yourself you are in receipt of stolen goods and liable to prosecution.

Either buy a re-conditioned one from Close Brewery Rentals ad linked here : http://siba.co.uk/classifieds/show-ad/?id=2898

or buy a new one from any of the suppliers but don't steal from a brewery.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
No probs :)

That's a good price for an 18gall Kilderkin (144 pints)

Bear in mind the £75 + vat price I mentioned is for a 9 gall firkin.

Kilderkins are beefy containers. If you are thinking of it for a copper for brewing it will be a devil of a job putting holes in for your taps / elements etc.

Bergland pots work out a bit cheaper and are easier to build into coppers and mashtuns etc.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
where can i find them ? and any other advice on building one ?
No probs :)

That's a good price for an 18gall Kilderkin (144 pints)

Bear in mind the £75 + vat price I mentioned is for a 9 gall firkin.

Kilderkins are beefy containers. If you are thinking of it for a copper for brewing it will be a devil of a job putting holes in for your taps / elements etc.

Bergland pots work out a bit cheaper and are easier to build into coppers and mashtuns etc.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Give me an hour or two... Just about to drive across to the outlaws. I will try and get on the lappy and send you a PM with all the info. There's a bit too much detail for this thread especially seeing as it is a bushcraft forum unless folks are interested :)

where can i find them ? and any other advice on building one ?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If you can find a small indipendant brewery ask them if they have any damaged beyond repair cask/keg.
If its keg and it has a small crack in it they often don't repair due to them being pressurized containers.

Much depends on what you need it for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE