Stealth Gear’s Extreme Photographers’ trousers - Mini Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Whilst I’m in no way trying to emulate some of the utterly brilliant gear reviews on here I would like to give a brief overview of a pair of trousers I bought recently from W Slack and Sons. I am still amazed that people spend loads of cash on the perfect jacket, but completely fail to cover their bottom half in anything decent. I think I’ve finally cracked it. All in my own opinion of course.

As usual, I’ll state that I have no personal connection with the seller etc etc blah blah blah. W Slack and Sons is a family run company and was an example of truly excellent customer service. John who dealt with my enquiry and eventual order was brilliant. They stocked a multitude of waste sizes and leg lengths for these trousers so I was able to be supplied with a very comfortable pair without having to make any sort of mods. Get one size up from what you normally go for is the recommendation and one you won’t regret.

I was after a pair of £85-£90.00 trousers primarily for work (landscaper) but being a “life stylist” (good at work/life balance) I wanted a pair that I could use for bushy stuff, canoeing and ok I admit it: Look and feel good in green! I did toy with Fjallraven’s Foresters which there is loads on this forum, but they got pipped to the post by Stealth Gear’s Extreme Photographers’ trousers (green).

http://wslackandsons.co.uk/Stealth-...-Photographers-Trousers-2-green/prod_902.html

OK, so the name is a little OTT, but someone has really put a lot of thought into their design, of which there is an effusive amount of information and video footage on their site. It has all the techy info too if that’s important to you. I personally don’t think much needs to be expanded upon based on how much bumpf they have given. Only Aaardman knows how to make a big deal out of trousers

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000044864/The-wrong-trousers

Anyway: Although I haven’t worn them yet in cold conditions I am very chuffed so far. I can probably vouch for the fact I’ll stick to my shorts in hot weather. These are probably too warm during any physical activity in warmer temperatures. That said: If you are keeping still “stalking” and staying still as a photographer might, you may need the warmth. I’ve been out in very heavy rain and long wet grass for hours on end and they did the job. Brambles didn’t seem to hassle the material much and nettles didn’t even feature. Sitting by an open fire didn’t seem to overly heat up the material although I reckon common sense should prevail as to how close you get to a crackly, sparking fire. Apart from the knees and seat, these trouser have a faux “moleskin” texture which gives a more traditional feel. (As opposed to the plastic fantastic gear you see ramblers wearing)

There are plenty of pockets and loops for hanging/storing your bits and bobs. In my case for work I hang my knife and phone off the two strong loops on either hip. There are loads of pockets too (some expand with a baffle construction), the only one that is of no use to me is the twin memory card holder. Methinks they could keep 2 emergency Mint Imperials on my person should I bump into Bushcraft Betty on my bimbles. (Don’t tell the wife). I’ve also removed the little tabs of material on the actual zips although I may regret this when wearing gloves.

Another real cosy addition are the removable, internal gaiters. These are surprisingly comfy and although I have never had leaves go up my trousers (sound like a nice experience) as the marketing bumpf says but I’m sure they are a useful cold weather addition. Probably very good at keeping snow out too.

There are removable knee pads too which are an utter pleasure for my line of work. They genuinely are comfier than any industrial “strap ons” or inserts you can get. But forget work! They are the business for canoeing if you prefer to kneel in my boat as I do. The pads squeak a bit, so if you are in stealth mode, these surprisingly quiet trousers need the pads removed.

I mainly wear boots regardless of what I am doing work-wise or play-wise and the ankle straps on these trousers are great for tightening them up around my ankles above the boots. If Fjallraven’s Foresters had these they would be perfect. A jump up to £145.00 for Fjallraven’s Chaps for ankle fasteners was too much to justify a purchase.

Finally John at W Slack and Sons supplied me with a pair of braces. Now I’ve got to say they have taken a while getting used to them, but they are proving very comfortable and possibly a major threat to my belts in the wardrobe. I’m bent over lifting/laying heavy materials all day and I don’t get cold kidneys with these. I guess if I ever grow a beer belly as a result of my home brew operation, braces will be my saviour.

All in all, I genuinely think these are the best trousers yet. My reservation was the amount of man-made textiles used (like gore-tex) as I prefer natural materials. But from a value aspect, these trousers have got so much more to offer for £85-£90.00 than any others I could find out there.

I hope you enjoyed my attempt at a review..........hc

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Just tried on one of the smocks today at the local stockist.
they only had in the large not the X-Large so I cant really comment on the comfort as the Large left me feeling a little restricted.

I like the idea of the pouch on the front of the smock over the jacket style.

Glad to hear the trousers get a glowing real world review.
My visa will turning in my wallet as I type.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good review HC

How do you find the water retention, a pal has the jacket and after a good soaking it took ages to dry

Good review HC

How do you find the water retention...

I find fennel or beech tea far too diuretic to take to work and awful for water retention. Peppermint is the way forward. No seriously I am happy. There seems to be a coating of some sort that lets the water "bead" off. I imagine this may degrade with time/washing and need some sort of maintainance schedule/wash in some sort of product. Unlike jackets, where you have horizantle surfaces (shoulders, bent arms) trousers are more "verticle garments" and tend to stay dryer unless you are seated. If I'm out in it all day at work I get wettest through my jacket hood or through my trousers where the jacket drains off over my posterior :)

I've learnt to live with the fact that in the South West it doesn't matter how good or expensive your wet gear is, you will get wet eventually if you are in heavy rain for hours on end moving about. Usually rising damp through hoods, cuffs, wellies and of course perspiration.

Tell you what though, you sure get to love your thermos and a hot shower when you get home..........hc

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
[QUOTE=HeltorChasca;753643 I am still amazed that people spend loads of cash on the perfect jacket, but completely fail to cover their bottom half in anything decent. I think I’ve finally cracked it.

I agree!
After all, one wears trousers the whole day, but not necessarily the jacket, too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I find fennel or beech tea far too diuretic to take to work and awful for water retention. Peppermint is the way forward. No seriously I am happy. There seems to be a coating of some sort that lets the water "bead" off. I imagine this may degrade with time/washing and need some sort of maintainance schedule/wash in some sort of product. Unlike jackets, where you have horizantle surfaces (shoulders, bent arms) trousers are more "verticle garments" and tend to stay dryer unless you are seated. If I'm out in it all day at work I get wettest through my jacket hood or through my trousers where the jacket drains off over my posterior :)

I've learnt to live with the fact that in the South West it doesn't matter how good or expensive your wet gear is, you will get wet eventually if you are in heavy rain for hours on end moving about. Usually rising damp through hoods, cuffs, wellies and of course perspiration.

Tell you what though, you sure get to love your thermos and a hot shower when you get home..........hc

So true :)

I've not had a proper look at the pals jacket so excuse the daft questions, are they a big chunky trouser ? I know the jacket had loads of funky storage pockets and was really cleverly though out, are the trews the same ?

I'm interested to hear how they've performed in the canoe, I'm a kneeler and have experimented with more trews than I can remember trying to find that perfect pair that don't soak up after five minutes in the bilge water. I'm not into the dry suit bottoms so I've tried various surplus goretex as well as some civvy hiking gear, I'm settled on a pair of Norrona goretex hunting pants at the moment which are doing really well, they're duel purpose too so I can wear them around camp and hiking etc unlike the dry suit alternatives.
The Stealth gear looks really strong and gives you that bit more confidence than a thin pair of goretex whilst bashing your way through the woods.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Although I’ve yet to see one in the flesh everything I see from the pics suggests this may just be the finest stalking/hunting jacket that never was.

I could even get my Leica 10 – 15X50’s in that front pouch!

Happy to review one for them if they would like to furnish a complimentary example!

Cheers

...I'm interested to hear how they've performed in the canoe, I'm a kneeler and have experimented with more trews than I can remember trying to find that perfect pair that don't soak up after five minutes in the bilge water....

Hi Rich. I'm out in the boat next week so I'll be able to give you a full blown answer as my bilge was dry when I went out last :) In the mean time the closest test I can offer is working for a couple of hours kneeling in a 10mm puddle sorting out a gas meter/patio scenario. As said they were dead comfy even on the stone and no water gets in. The knees are reinforced with a gore tex section and the knee pads are 10mm padding which flexes round your knee nicely. Over time knee pads squash and get thin. I've got scraps of a closed cell sleeping mat which I'll use for replacements. And as you know they are dead useful for glueing in kneeling mats to your canoe.

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
I have the original trousers and jacket. I have to say that they are the best bits of this kind of kit I have ever owned. The trousers are hard-wearing, comfortable, warm and waterproof. The jacket likewise.

I spent a lot of time out and about in very cold weather last winter, lying or sitting in snow. with good layering I was never cold or wet.

I have to say that I am not over keen on the the newer version of the jacket although I don't own one. I'm not keen on zip off sleeves and it looks a bit bulkier. Neither am I over impressed with the new vest. I just can't imagine lying prone with that huge pouch on the front, (unless you stuffed a cushion in it).

with the pocket opened out I can get a Canon 7D with a 70-200mm lens in it. Loads of pockets for all sorts of stuff.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Nice review..but
Just a thought.

While I don't doubt the multifunction nature of the trousers, as someone who carries a lot of photographic equipment most days, sometimes for long periods of time, and in all sorts of weather...it is far more comfortable to carry your equipment, especially when trying to travel light, in anything other than your clothing.

The last thing I want to have while organising or composing a shot is anything digging into my thighs or butt. I certainly don't want lens cases being dipped into the mud or a cardsafe sticking into my groin while lying prone. I hear what you say about waterproof jackets and of course you don't need them when it's not raining...but that's kind of the point, you can fold it up and put it in a bag or lash it to a sack...even tie it around your waist, not easily done if you've only got one pair of trews on. IMO If you are relying on a pair of trousers for carrying kit, well frankly that's kind of daft.

If I have misunderstood the point of the OP then please accept my apologies; I have no doubt that they are good functional trousers for bushcraft, but for photography, I personally, will not be looking to get a pair. A cheapish pair of overtrousers is what you might seriously consider, ones with press studs or zips up the sides to enable easy on - easy off. Look at any football match that's taking place in inclement weather and you will see plenty of disgruntled sports photographers all looking as miserable as sin but all wearing traditional wet weather gear.

IMO as old fashioned and passe as they are, photographers or fly fishing vests (which I still use on occasion) are far more versatile than action man pants :) and can be taken off and put to one side if required or covered with a waterproof jacket.

I would spend £300 on a good jacket but my waterproof trs are Peter Storm £19.99.

Cheers
Sack

Edit: Should have re read the OP first. As stated, they are probably great for the purpose mentioned in the OP, it was the 'Photographers Trousers' name that I should really aim my comments at. Apologies to HeltorChasca.

Last edited:

Rigel

Aug 6, 2010
maidenhead
Hey HC,

I have just bought a pair based on your recommendation and I am very happy with them They are well manufactured and rugged, albeit a bit heavy. Saying that, they do feel nice and warm.Apart from spending times in the woods in the cold weather, my other objective was a pair for my astronomy nights (winter is best) and since I will be standing up upto two o'clock, they seemed ideal. Glad its hit the spot. Thanks for sharing the info with us!

Rigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE