Staying in Marrakech

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Hiya,

There is a possibility that My good lady and myself will be getting a few days in Marrakech sometime in December :eek:):

Has anyone here been there? Any recommendations on places to stay, things to see, things to do, things not to do?
We're on quite a tight budget, so we can't really afford to splash out on fancy hotels but we'd like to get a feel for the "Real" Marrakech.

Any tips or advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Martin

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I went there for a family holiday when I was about 13.
Watch yourself and your money.
Don't sell the other half for camels (unless you want to) :eek:):

It's an amazing place to go, some of the workshops in the back streets are brilliant.

Can't remember any details I'm afraid though.

Enjoy

Mark

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Hi Shinobi,
Just remember that it is a Muslim country, although not fundamentalist.
Treat people with respect and that will generally be returned, the same goes for being friendly. Make sure your uvver half dresses appropriately (no tank tops or shorts in public places :nono: ). Insect repellents are probably a good idea, but any medicinal requirements you'll find very cheaply in local pharmacies (Sadaleyah). A good idea would be to get yourself a phrasebook and learn a few of the commonly used phrases like 'Good morning', 'how are you' etc..etc. The locals have a lot of respect for those who make the effort to communicate.
Take a guide or go in a group if sightseeing outside the city.
Above all, go out and enjoy your experience - you'll most likely find them to be some of the friendliest, most accommodating people you've met.
I've been 10 years in Egypt and that's been my general experience.
If you have any specific questions, PM me and i'll try to help.
Have a great time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE