Stanley Hip Flask - Meths use

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Once again I grabbed another great deal. I was in my local charity shop and found this for £1.99 I am thinking of using it as a slim meths bottle.

41Up78rivuL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

* Stanley Classic Hip Flask
* Capacity: 230ml
* Dimensions: 165 x 75 x 35 mm
* Weight: 132g

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yeah, come on - fair's fair. That's a nice flask and deserves something more...er...deserving than horrid meths. Use the flask for what it was meant and find another container for the meths.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I'm a little concerned about the consequences of you losing it, someone finding it and making assumptions about the contents. :eek:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Meths can be very corrosive and may attack the top which is plastic. I'd stick to using it for it's intended purpose. When ya get a meths leak in your pack it takes AGES for the taint to go

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
a hip flask made by Stanley? a DIY tool company?

Should the "Alcohol and DIY" combination be encouraged?:rolleyes:

I just have a mental image of someone struggling to stand up:1244:,
attempting to hammer nails, :viking:missing completely,
and falling flat on their face whilst giggling insanely:rofl:

a nice find!, perhaps a hot cocoa would be safer!;)

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Might make painting a bit more interesting. Do the masking sober and you can't loose goodjob

I need to pick up something to carry meths in. I got a complete trangia 25 at a carboot on saturday for a fiver, but no fuel and nothing to keep the fuel in. Still, a bargain I reckon.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Might make painting a bit more interesting. Do the masking sober and you can't loose goodjob

I need to pick up something to carry meths in. I got a complete trangia 25 at a carboot on saturday for a fiver, but no fuel and nothing to keep the fuel in. Still, a bargain I reckon.

I've been using random plastic bottles for around 20 years.
as long as they are designed to hold liquids have a good seal most bottles would work.;)
my current bottle used to hold alcohol hand wash, the previous ones:
"body shop" soap, insect repellent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use Trangia fuel bottles with safety pourer, as Dave said meths will corrode some plastics and certainly cap seals. The bottle meths comes is in is obviously fine, but not sturdy so for what they cost the Trangia bottle gives peace of mind and easy stove filling

This sort of thing, come in different sizes and shop around for a good price.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trangia-0-5L-...amping_CookingSupplies_ET?hash=item27a8004e13

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
Word of warning (not that anyone suggested doing this) but dont use any bottles designed for drinks to hold meths. Too much risk of a kid getting hold of it and taking a swig, especially if its some form of soft drink bottle. I think its actually illegal to do so, and legally you should only use something designed for meths. Make sure you label anything you do use for safety sake :)

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
a hip flask made by Stanley? a DIY tool company?

Should the "Alcohol and DIY" combination be encouraged?:rolleyes:

I just have a mental image of someone struggling to stand up:1244:,
attempting to hammer nails, :viking:missing completely,
and falling flat on their face whilst giggling insanely:rofl:

a nice find!, perhaps a hot cocoa would be safer!;)

It's a totally different company! The British Stanley is the tool company that started in Stanley Road, Sheffield according to an old lady I once knew who'd lived around the corner from them.

The Stanley flask company is an American vacuum flask outfit that make bomb proof flasks. I have two and they are excellent. Think they are part of Aladdin now and they are made in China.

Must get me one of those hip flasks. Not seem them before!

Gareth

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
OK, what with me and my weakness for shiny things, once I saw the flask I had to pick one up (to be fair, my last flask has a split in the solder join on the neck). Cracking little item! Tough as old boots, decent size, and a bit different.

Now, do I fill it with Jura or homemade sloe gin?

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE