Standard Parcels is no more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
While posting off one of my stoves today I discovered they have abolished the Standard Parcels rate, which increases the cost of postage by almost £3 on an item of that size. Obviously I'll honour the price I agreed with the purchaser since it was my responsibility to check the postage costs.

Nonetheless it means Royal Mail is becoming increasingly expensive. With the death of Standard Parcels I think online courier services are now cheaper for posting within the UK.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

The company said the proposed deal would increase base rates by 8.6%, with a lump sum of £300 in December 2013 and new incentive arrangements including a minimum £100 bonus in future years....... But the union rejected the proposal, branding it "misleading and unacceptable", saying workers had recently voted by 99% for a pay rise without any strings attached, which the company had "ignored."

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/uk/royal-mail-pay-offer-rejected-1.108808

99% of people surveyed would like more money eh? Whodathunkit :lmao: 100% of me would like more money too. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get it :cool:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest Wook I stopped using the PO ages ago. Parcel2go or Interparcel are far more reliable. You place your order, print off the label/bar code and they pick it up from your door and deliver, I sent to the States a few times and its two days to the East Coast, and I've sent to Japan which was three working days so blow the PO.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Have a look at Collect Plus. http://www.collectplus.co.uk/send
I have used them a fair bit and much better & cheaper with heavy items. Their prices went up recently but still cheaper than R.M. You just book it online print your label and take it to a local store. (don't know if any near you but you can search on the site for nearest). It is also tracked & insured up to which ever level you want.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I like the idea Perrari, but are they not rather dependant on the honesty and competence of your local newsagent? Mind you, the question of whether your average newsagent is likely to be more or less honest/competant than your average post office worker is an interesting one....

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
No ! It is only certain stores that are signed up to it. They scan the barcode from your label and give you a receipt for your parcel. This is what notifies Collect Plus that they have a parcel to collect from the store.
It may not be any good for you if there are no stores in your area that do it. Put your postcode in on their website to find out where your nearest collection point is.

I like the idea Perrari, but are they not rather dependant on the honesty and competence of your local newsagent? Mind you, the question of whether your average newsagent is likely to be more or less honest/competant than your average post office worker is an interesting one....

drowso

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester, UK
MyHermes are alright, but I've had fragile stuff damaged by them in the past.

As for Royal Mail... friggin' great, they already knocked my business to hell when they increased the prices. :cussing:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've used my hermes a few times for larger items, reasonable service for cheaper than the PO. Can't complain there...

I've had no trouble to press with myhermes and the convenience of dropping off at a shop early morning or late evening is a real bonus. I belive the shops are going to start doing a pick up service for received parcels soon.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AndrewMarshall

Dec 12, 2013
UK
Yes, it is true that these days standard parcel rates are going high and it is better to use online courier service which is cheaper than it.There are many companies who provides online courier service and in you just have to place an order online and after payment the service provider will collect your parcel and deliver it anywhere you want it to be delivered.I also used the courier services provided by Tikili and it is great.By using there service you can deliver your parcel anywhere across the world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE