Stainless Pea and Split Pea lighters

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just received the Stainless steel pea and split pea lighters the wife ordered online 10 days ago from the US. The pair cost $21.45

Now, have these been covered on a thread already? I haven't made up my mind if they are just a gimmick or not so I thought I'd give them a try for a few months.

The quality of construction seems good anyway and someone else paid for them! The larger of the two will go on my chatelaine and the smaller on a zip pull.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
lighters1.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I got one ages ago and it still lights - I think that is a shelf life of over 12 months now! - I just tried it and it lit first time :D

I think it is excellant as a backup - no battery to die and if it seals well enough to not evaporate in over a year you can't go wrong!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aw, now that's neat :approve:
And me with five spare spy capsules too.........anyone up for a diy tutorial maybe ?

cheers,
Toddy

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Aw, now that's neat
And me with five spare spy capsules too.........anyone up for a diy tutorial maybe ?

cheers,
Toddy

that'd be a good idea. got a few spare myself

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
OK Tom, tell us what all the bits on that are

I've got one of those muti-bunch keyrings that might end up as my version of a chatelaine

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Just to point out the dealextreme one ;which I have has a rounded bottom so will not stand to use as a candle and is probably not as good quality as the peanut lighter but its a lot cheaper and works fine

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, I feel slightly mollified that the dearer ones are a bit better (and anyway herslf paid for mine as a panic'ed and belated Valentines gift) but those dealextreme ones are a real bargain!

From left to right

Eagle Creek card wallet (which is just too small to take 20s or 50s without origami but since I rarely have 20s of 50s that aint a problem.

on top of which is a Victoronix Swiss Card we saw incorrectly priced up (£8) in a Go Outdoors.

Fenix L0D as I have awful night vission it gets used a lot.

Cheap watch chain (Need to get a new pocket watch, the old miners Ingersol I used to carry died a death but the chain soldiers on)

Gerber Artifact pry bar, which I'll replace when I can afford one of those hand crafted jobs. I think its the only Commercial EDC pry bar available in the UK but I'd be happy to be proved wrong)

Wengler "Nailclip" (or some such, my spellings never too hot) Bulky but I have three young sons who I never notice need pruning untill we ae out and about. The clippers themselves aint so hot on adult mails. I did try a normal nail clipper on there but it kept making pulls on clothes and was very much a one trick pony. Held on with a 25mm Mailon but as its taken off the key wring so often, also i've found it handy to have one of those on me for stuff like clipping the straps of a bergan together to hold it upright next to a pole on a bus or holding 2 pulls on a zip on a daypack together when carrying something two long in it. They are just so handy!

Inka Pen, a great bit of kit, you can pull the writing part out to jot down notes but if you are going to be using it for a while and don't like fiddly bookies sized pens you can unscrew the outer casing and make a full sized pen out of it. Like a Fischer Space Pen it will write in conditions you would be dead in! They do a titanium version but even with my love of the stuff I couldn't justify the cost.

Pea nut lighter

Broken Maglite Solataire with the end cut off and plugged with Miliput, the cap cut down to the screw thread used to carry a few strike anywhere matches. I've put a circle of skatebaord grip tape on the end as a stiking surface, its stayed on for 15 years so far! I've another Ex Solataire tube I made a little insert to hold thread and needles in but I've stopped carrying that although I may reinstate it .

Nite tritium glow fob, very bright and really helps me locate the keys when sneaking off at 6AM to work.

The spring hook is off a issue wrist strap thingy that was intended to stop people snatching your rifle off you in NI.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My real chatelaine is silver with sewing tools hanging from it, but my keychain looks like yours :rolleyes: :D :cool:

I don't have an Inka Pen though, just a pencil, but now I've seen it, oh I think I quite fancy one of them..........'til I saw the price :eek:

Come on then, anybody got a link to a Happy Lucky Flying Chicken Factory special, for a quid or so ???

Aren't folks toys fun ? :D

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Aye, a silly price for a glorified biro but I was visiting the inlaws and needed cheering up! ;-{D)

Now I've bought one the price will either drop massively or they will bring out a better, shinier model

ATB

Tom

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I've just got mine through , thanks TB for the link I had one of each, a plit pea and a peanut, and they're brilliant.
Couldn't resist the mini grappling hook either it was a must have moment ;) .
I'm really impressed with the quality and design of it, just don't what I'll use it for other than to add a bit of weight to my pack. I'm sure it'll have it's moment.

ATB Rich

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I got 4 of the lighters 2 years ago on a group buy on another forum
that I am on. And I have one on the side of my Maxpedition that has held
fluid and still works well after 2 years. Just wished I had got more at
the time as I got all 4 for 20 bucks shipped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE