stainless 440c

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
It's a good blade but you need to get used to it. 440C is one of the older high quality stainless steels. For strength and durability I would tend to put a fairly obtuse secondary bevel or convex edge on it. Don't expect it to perform like S30V or even O1 but it won't rust like O1 and it's easier to sharpen than some of the more exotic steels. With care it will give you a lifetime's service. I often use a steel on some of my skinnier 440 blades, to shape them up rather than take metal off, but if there's a lot of meat on the blade that might not worry you.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
P1050014.jpg
[/IMG]

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i have the gerber version, http://www.foot-steps.uk.com/product/7102168/

will that do?
how much should a take back~?

I had the Gerber version some years back and never got on with any of these pocket sharpeners. I like water stones or the Spyderco Sharpmaker. However, I was given one of the RWS versions as I was told it was perfect for maintaining a secondary bevel in the field and was more accurate than a DC4. It is the same principal as the Gerber, but is much better made and with better materials. The carbide shears on them work better than the ceramic rods and the ceramic rod on the other side is very high grade. I've used it on my kitchen Mora Clipper and it has improved the edge no end. It's completely replaced my DC4 for touch ups in the field. It's perfectly suited for your knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE