Stags getting ready!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Out for a potter this evening, I could hear a stag up in the woods on the opposite side of the river valley "bolving" as we call it here on the moor. Decided that I would try having a conversation with him, and started bolving back at him. He answered me several times, and seemed to be trying to find me, as he was definatly getting louder and closer.
I wouldn't try this without the river between us, but it is lovely to have real communication between species, even if I have no clue what I'm saying to him!

Reactions: Pattree and Marcus2

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Well…… You were exhibiting your masculine side :swordfight:

IMG_5655.jpeg
While ago now.

My neighbour huffed at me so I huffed back. He got quite stroppy, head down, kicking up clods and quietly growl/mooing.

The wire fence between us hadn’t seemed so flimsy before! (Yes there is a fence.)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I like the idea that it could’ve been someone else doing the same as you and making deer noises hoping for a response, and you were just two humans either side of a hedgerow having a deer conversation with each other.

Both reach the end of the hedgerow and awkwardly walk away…
Luckily there is a main road, several fields, and a river between us.
I'm the other side of a steep river valley.
It's not safe in the woods at night with the rutting stags so locals don't hang about in there, even during the day at this time of year.
Though a chap I know who lives on the other side of the valley, had two rutting stags in his garden one night. Ruined his veg garden. Poor chap. :(

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Out for a potter this evening, I could hear a stag up in the woods on the opposite side of the river valley "bolving" as we call it here on the moor. Decided that I would try having a conversation with him, and started bolving back at him.
I so wish I’d been there to hear some of your love talk… :lmao:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here’s a fella I met in the park yesterday. He said he’d been FaceTiming one of his Somerset mates and there was this doe up near him that asked him some very personal questions and suggested several exciting… ‘activities’.

IMG_5788.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE