Stag do - bushcrafty/canoe/kayak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FCDisaster

Apr 11, 2012
Chepstow, Monmouthshire
Evening all,

I am getting married next year and the inevitable clamouring has begun for what the stag do is going to be. My best man is my brother who, to be frank, is useless so I am planning to do the job myself.

Obviously being a member here I have an interest in bushcraft but I would also like to do a spot of canoeing or kayaking as well (camping too of course).

Has anyone come across a company/organisation/individual who might be able to cater for this type of thing?

Location isnt a huge issue (preferably UK based though) so any ideas welcome!

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Chatting with a friend today and he said he did something similar last year before his wedding, trip down the wye in the forest of dean camping/bivi out and one night in a tipi. He said the place he went with was called forest adventure, seemed really happy with them. Could be worth a try as its pretty much on your doorstep, jono mentioned starting above Ross and paddling down - sorry but that's about all I can help with, hope it helps

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chatting with a friend today and he said he did something similar last year before his wedding, trip down the wye in the forest of dean camping/bivi out and one night in a tipi. He said the place he went with was called forest adventure, seemed really happy with them. Could be worth a try as its pretty much on your doorstep, jono mentioned starting above Ross and paddling down - sorry but that's about all I can help with, hope it helps

My neck of the woods - yes, it's supposed to be very good but (of course) as it's on my doorstep going there is always tomorrow. I'd give it a whirl, it's gorgeous country - I would say that - and that stretch of the Wye is my ult fave. Try this link http://www.forestadventure.co.uk/

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I done the same thing on my stag do, we done it on the river wye .
I will contact my best-man and see if I can find out who he organised it through

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The Canoeman, he actually caters for stag do's and he is based in Norfolk, pm Monkiboi he actually works for for him, he may be able to help

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm confused, are you seriously looking at a bushcraft weekend for your 'stag night'? A canoe trip for your stag night?

Naaa got to be a wind up post lol, can't be serious, you should be off to Prague or Phuket...anywhere but not a canoe trip for crying out loud you can do that anytime but once your married ain't no way you'll get a blessing for a weekend in Prague etc.

We're getting some strange posts on BCUK these days, this week alone we had one for 'whats the best bushcraft underwear' and now a canoe stag night..... got to be a full moon or something.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Personally I can't think of something I'd enjoy less than a p*ss up in the former Soviet Union. I went sea fishing for my stag do and it was an excellent day. Your canoeing etc. sounds brilliant

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
I'm confused, are you seriously looking at a bushcraft weekend for your 'stag night'? A canoe trip for your stag night?

Naaa got to be a wind up post lol, can't be serious, you should be off to Prague or Phuket...anywhere but not a canoe trip for crying out loud you can do that anytime but once your married ain't no way you'll get a blessing for a weekend in Prague etc.

We're getting some strange posts on BCUK these days, this week alone we had one for 'whats the best bushcraft underwear' and now a canoe stag night..... got to be a full moon or something.

Really?

Didn't you get hopelessly drunk as a teenager, spend loads of money and felt sick for the next two days?

I'd much rather do something memorable and fun, with a pint or two in a lovely pub afterwards. This is the exact sort of thing I'd want to do with some chums instead of the seemingly compulsory binge-drinking, can't hear yourself talking in a club idiocy.

Each to their own IMHO - don't poke fun at another just because their world view is different to yours :p

Last edited by a moderator:

FCDisaster

Apr 11, 2012
Chepstow, Monmouthshire
Thanks for all the helpful comments. SiWhite and Bandit are right, I have done the getting hopelessly drunk in foreign lands many a time and find as I get a wee bit older the payback the day after is worse than death so was hoping for something a bit more sedate but rather more enjoyable for my stag. I am hoping a few beers will of course be consumed but gone are the days when I could sink 10 pints, numerous shots then have 4 hours sleep and be up at 8 feeling fine...sad times.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland

Sounds like a perfectly sensible thing to do for a stag do to me. It also seems that others have done the same thing.

Would you be happier if he did a weekend canoe trip in Prague?

and if your missus isn't going to let you out for a weekend it doesn't matter where you go - your not allowed out!

Anyway go and have fun - that is the main thing. Personally I'd save on the stag do and take your wife on a nice weekend - Hmmm a weekend with your drunk mates [which you can do anytime] or a weekend somewhere fantastic with the woman you love???

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
I did a weekend in the Brecon Beacons for mine. Met at the cottage friday night. A day on the river wye in canadians hired from Black Mountain Activities and a day walking or mountain biking depending on what you fancied and if you had your own bike. Stayed in a cottage in the middle of nowhere with no electric, gas lights and a fireplace big enough to park a mini in! There are plenty of really really nice bunkhouses around and a cask of bright ale will see a group of dozen blokes happy enough for two nights. We all mucked in with cooking and ate like kings!
It cost about 50 quid a head including all the food, canoe hire and the ale.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
I went on a Stag do to Footsteps of Discovery back in February, had a fantastic time and would highly recommend them, Leon-1 who is a Mod on here can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Personally I can't think of something I'd enjoy less than a p*ss up in the former Soviet Union. I went sea fishing for my stag do and it was an excellent day. Your canoeing etc. sounds brilliant

Sounds really good, but you can go fishing anytime

The idea of a stag night is to go off, let your hair down, do something different (I'm not advocating hooking up with a hooker)... Prague can be fun, my lads been on two stag weekends... went shooting machine guns before off on the town.

Some of you just need to lighten up and do something different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE