St St cutlery dryer

Gailainne

Life Member
I had a play with one of these today, it was'nt the Ikea one, but one from Woolworths, very similar if not the same design.

Cutlery dryer

First thing, I made a wire frame for the top, designed it so it was a spring loaded type fit, that allowed my smallest pan to sit on it, it would have anyway, but I wanted a gap.

I had a bag full of chips from spoon carving, mostly birch, so I used them as the starter, nothing fancy, lighter to a piece of birch bark then added it to the chips in the container. I battoned some scots pine into 3" lengths, and added them, once the chips were well alight.

Next the pan with 0.5l of water, and lid, seriously impressed how quick it came to the boil, I didnt time it but it was way faster than the 12 mins it took my latest proton this morning to the rolling boil.

Big plus, very small amount of fuel (small wood) is required for a boil up
minimum impact to local invironment.

Surprisingly short time till its cool enough to pack

Bad points, very sooty, obviously it is'nt designed for wood burning, I've had a look, and as a minimum I would, increase the holes right to the bottom, all the way around.

Add legs to allow air flow under the container, and probably add holes to the bottom as well.

Be all and end all for a couple of quid its bloody efficient at what it does.

Stephen

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
:) I also bought one of these today,i have been wanting one for a while but could not justify the trip up the motorway to Ikea just to get one so when i seen it in woolworths today(which is a five minute walk from my home :cool: ) I got one even though it is a couple of quid more than the Ikea one.
I've not had a fire in it yet but tested it with my Swedish army burner in the bottom and my poundland tea caddy billy can :cool:
I used a couple of pieces of coat hanger wire through the holes to support the billy above the burner as my billy fits inside the cutlery drainer and I will do the same when i have a fire in it.
I'm very l happy with this set up as it is a lot lighter than my Swedish army cook set ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I drove past an Ikea today, and I actually considered stopping to go in and get one! Then I remembered you have to walk through every single display and thee aren't any shortcuts, so I gave up on the idea as it was just me and the kids and they would have played up!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE