St John's Wort

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
Which part of plant should be used medicinally? I know that the tablets sold contain the extracted hypericin, so I'm wondering how much of the plant would be consumed to get the same amount as 1 tablet of the pill (usually 300mg hypericin). Anyone know?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It varies and the only way to be sure is chemical analysis. However for adults,

Dry herb (in capsules or tablets): The usual dose for mild depression and mood disorders is 300 mg (standardized to 0.3% hypericin extract), 3 times per day, with meals.

The herb is prepared from both leaves and flowers.

Be very, very sure, that you are dealing with Hypericum perforatum as there are many similar looking Hypericums.

There are medically proven interactions with many prescription medications (including contraceptives) and some side effects in a subset of people. Consulting your doctor is very wise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dried flowering tops. These are then broken up into crumb sized pieces and weighed for tisane.

You are aware that the St.John's wort screws up other medications ? and since we don't know a) why you need it, depression, feeling low, seratonin, bipolar or diarrhoea or wound healing b) what physical and mental state you (or the person intending to take it) is in, c) what else you (or the other person) might be suffering from and d) where your St.John's wort is growing and how far along it is in it's growth cycle.....tbh, I can't see anyone happily saying, "Oh you take this much this often", with this herb from fresh. Slightly different with processed hypericum in tablets.

I grow it, and I use it, and not only for dye, but I wouldn't happily dose anyone else.

Link to UKPatient.
ttp://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/st-johns-wort

cheers,
M

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
I don't take any pharmaceutical medications and don't have any mental of physical problems. I take st johns wort already, but in the extracted pill form. I already know enough about the properties of the chemical makeup of the plant. That is not what I am asking. But I appreciate the concern.

Also, the reason for taking is for anxiety and mood balance.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don't take any pharmaceutical medications and don't have any mental of physical problems. I take st johns wort already, but in the extracted pill form. I already know enough about the properties of the chemical makeup of the plant. That is not what I am asking. But I appreciate the concern.

Also, the reason for taking is for anxiety and mood balance.

I know there's a great deal of satisfaction to be enjoyed from creating your own stuff, whether it be food, medicine etc. but in this case, why not let the labs work it all out properly for you so you're getting a standardised product? Like many anti depressants, St Johns Wort has to be left to work over a period of time, usually a couple of months, at a prescribed level. I'm not sure I'd be brewing up my own, in much the same way I wouldn't be boiling Poppy heads to cope with extreme pain. Don't ask, I was sick on my hearth rug :D

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
I know there's a great deal of satisfaction to be enjoyed from creating your own stuff, whether it be food, medicine etc. but in this case, why not let the labs work it all out properly for you so you're getting a standardised product? Like many anti depressants, St Johns Wort has to be left to work over a period of time, usually a couple of months, at a prescribed level. I'm not sure I'd be brewing up my own, in much the same way I wouldn't be boiling Poppy heads to cope with extreme pain. Don't ask, I was sick on my hearth rug :D

I must not be the only one to feel this way, but it feels wrong to buy plant related products when you know they are out growing in fields waiting for you to pick them ;)

But in this case, I think you are right that it might be better to get the extracted product instead.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I must not be the only one to feel this way, but it feels wrong to buy plant related products when you know they are out growing in fields waiting for you to pick them ;)

But in this case, I think you are right that it might be better to get the extracted product instead.

I agree with you entirely, I'll eat fruit and veg for daily vitamin and mineral intake, but, that's daily. For long term, you need to trust in the standardisation, and guarantee a stable long term solution if it helps you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE