St.George's Mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Well it was St. Georges day last Wednesday and this is traditionally the time of year when the St. George's Mushroom appears, one of our earliest edible mushrooms.

As it happens I had the opportunity to be out and about on Wednesday and Thursday and guess what i found........

ForagingTripApril2008056.jpg

St. George's Mushroom Tricholoma gambosum Often forms large rings in grassland and scrub on chalky soils....

ForagingTripApril2008053.jpg

It has a smooth off-white to yellowish cap and dense gills, and a smell not unlike chamois leather....

ForagingTripApril2008047.jpg

ForagingTripApril2008049.jpg

As with any mushroom's though, only think about eating if your absolutely sure that you know what your doing.
Go out and learn first hand from someone who knows what there doing.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i thought St Georges was calocbye gambosa, is there two
No there are two names for the same fungi, one of them will be the official name, the other is is the name that is in the what ever book you have. I reckon it is a conspiracy to get mycologists to buy new field guides, it certainly doesn't aid study. St georges can also be called tricholoma georgii. I think calocybe gambosa is the official name.

Calocybe gambosa sounds really voluptuous and tasty for a name.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thats really useful because I think I have some which have just appeared in my garden
gonna check against your pics
Thanks

They are and are now on a plate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE