Squirrell loads!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys. Anybody out there using shotguns for squirrell shooting? Usually use an air rifle for them but was thinking of using my shotgun with light load 12 bore cartridges. Main reason for the shotgun is it would save me taking two guns out, plus with the shotgun I would have more chance when they get spooked,plus moving pigeons would come down also, but meat damage is usually pretty bad with normal loads at close range with the squirrels, hoping 21's or 24's would be better? Any info would be great,thanks, Tim.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Whenever I go squirreling I use a shotgun
I find trying to poke dreys with a long stick just too much faff, slow and hard work
A few bangs into the drey to remove it from the tree (so you can tell when they come back into the area) will often spook the tree rats into movement so you can then take them out. I usually have 4 or 5 of us so there's always someone loaded.

The loads I tend to use are standard ones. Often 30 or 32gram 5's or 6's. Much less than that can't get into the dreys

Best of luck

Mark

I saw that in your other post. Have been toying with the idea for a while. Might just bite the cartridge so to speak and get one. A shop local to me has a few in. He has a nice looking BSA .410. What sort of range have you been hitting rabbits/woodies/squirrels? Thanks for the other info too guys, Tim.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I keep it inside 25 - 30 yards as a rule. Does a good job in that range - devastating on Woodies in trees - drop like a stone. You should pick one up for £50 or so privately. More in a shop but not more than £100.

I feed mine Eley fourlongs in No. 6 - seems to be fine on small game and birds.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As a kid we were always taught to use #6 shot on sqirrels and rabbits and #8 or #9 shot for birds (quail and doves) but in my teens I switched to #7 1/2 shot for just about all upland game. Never had any real meat damage with any of them. At least not enough to worry about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE