Squirrel

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Has anyone tried eating the above. I'm an angler and have acsess to a venue where there are loads of pigeon which I don't mind but find a little rich but there are loads of squirrels too and wonder what there like for eating. If there good food it will also give me chance to practice trapping as well as game dressing and cooking.

Any advice would be really welcome.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Young squirrels are lovely - I'd recommend only using the haunches (hind legs) as there's not much meat on the rest of the animal.

Older animals can be a bit tough and stringy (as you'd expect), but treat the younger ones the same as rabbits - excellent in a casserole with veg, white wine and herbs :)

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's what I hoped. As part of my angling I BBQ a fair bit and as such always take a film capsule with some seasoned dry rub so would like to try squirrel with this.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Sounds like a plan. I agree with Wallenstein, stick to the back legs and younger squirrels if you can. Also, be careful how you dispatch them...you can easily spoil what little meat is on them if you shoot them up the a***! :p

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
One of the nicest meats I've tasted. I've tried them in the slow cooker and it brings out the best, but you can't beat them cooked over an open fire.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
lovely!!

i prefer to have meat dry too,...

stewing it seems to lose it a bit,...

splay them head end down on a "y" shaped stick with the legs over embers,...

in my opinion they are sweet and less gamey than the bunnies,...

but i,ve eated crow too so maybe my opinion is not so trustworthy,....

hahah

Stu

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks guys. Would be looking to trap them not shoot them as guns of any type are banned where I will be.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
hahaha Davimundo!!

now you put it like that spatchCOCK gives me an uneasy feeling too,....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Squirrel is my favorite game to eat. My favorite way of fixin' it is in burgoo. Here is me having a play in my woods fixin' it "dry".

The tool used to harvest the squirrel.
DSCN0717.jpg

Me roasting squirrel.
DSCN0737-1.jpg

A bit of your snare wire will help hold it on the spit. Sprinkled with a dry poultry, sage based, seasoning
DSCN0735.jpg

Another view of the roasting squirrel.
DSCN0733.jpg

Gordy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE