Squirrel Winding Me Up

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
554c44dd5b38d32227cdcaa290a11c60_zpsd7f47286.jpg

I've been having problems with squirrels so I decided to buy a trap,I set it up this morning ,but I didn't throw the nuts far enough in .This one was just reaching in and having a free lunch
Well you live and learn
Andrew

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That'll help catch it later... it will be more used to the trap and won't see the threat... you'll get it next time :)

Cheeky little fella though. :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was reading a while back that the most effective way to set traps is to bait them for a couple of weeks without setting them, like mentioned above the animals drop their suspicion and treat it like a food source, like they would a bird table, those nuts you're feeding him is just sweetening the meat

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't mind feeding them, but I get thoroughly scunnered with the way they destroy the bird feeders :( Even the metal cage ones don't last that long agin a determined thieving rodent :(
Cute though...but then, so are rabbits.

M

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Once, a long while ago now, my lovely new neighbour came knocking on my front door. "Can you help me Countryman?" She said "We have a squirrel nesting in the roof and it's driving us potty, waking us at all hours"

"Yes" says I "Give me a mo and I will meet you round the back."

A few seconds later I joined her and my wife chatting about the fluffy tailed tree rats over the fence.

"Oh! There he is now" she said and sure enough a squirrel stuck it's head and shoulders out of the eves. Everybody gawped upwards.

There was a loud crack and the Tree Rat slipped out of the gap a little at a time, tumbled, fell, bounced and landed dead not a metre from my neighbours feet, who with my wife was clearly horrified. "Sorted!" Says I.

She hadn't seen me emerge with an airgun as it was hidden by the fence.

"Oh I thought you would get a ladder and block up his little hole."

Relationship died a little that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I don't mind feeding them, but I get thoroughly scunnered with the way they destroy the bird feeders :( Even the metal cage ones don't last that long agin a determined thieving rodent :(
Cute though...but then, so are rabbits.

M
That's the problem here 5 metal peanut feeders in a couple of months,and there seems to be a lot more of them this year
Andrew

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There was squirrel causing grief in a row of houses near us. It ate the wiring in one loft and the owner called in pest control; then insisted that she didn't want it killed, just everything blocked up so it couldn't get back in.
So the squirrel moved next door.....and this continued until it came up agin a lady who was a farmer's daughter. When the pest control fellow (who was doing all right out of this business) asked if she wanted it left alive, the response was along the lines of, "Hell no, kill it".
End of problem.

I like seeing them, they're fun to have around, but if it get into my house, it's dead. That said, I don't think I'd be happy with that solution if it were a red squirrel, but the greys are just fluffy rats, tbh.

M

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You need at least 2 squirrels per diner. And at least 4 to have enough for the gravy.

I've had one squirrel before for dinner- with potatoes, carrots celery and half a bottle of wine for sauce it was enough for me :).

Tasty are squirrels, like a cross between duck and pork in a way. Wrap them in bacon too to keep them moist. Good luck catching them! :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had one squirrel before for dinner- with potatoes, carrots celery and half a bottle of wine for sauce it was enough for me :).

Tasty are squirrels, like a cross between duck and pork in a way. Wrap them in bacon too to keep them moist. Good luck catching them! :)

One can be enough if you have a small appetite. But not for most people. Squirrel should generally be treated as dark meat chicken (but bonier and smaller) If fried properly it's just as moist on its own as is the chicken. The drippings back into the pan grease are what's needed to flavor the gravy (to accompany those potatoes, or fresh, hot buttermilk biscuits)

Two squirrel hind leg quarters with biscuits and gravy:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Made it up as I went along. Just chucked it all in, with some veg, and threw it in a slow cooker. Stopped when it looked right. I probably couldn't repeat it, but if I get the chance I will definitely try!

Thanks. Some of the best dishes are cooked that way. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE