squeaking bow drill

Hello, bushcraft UK folk. Having floundered hopelessly for some time, I swear I'm getting the hang of this bow drill business. True, still no ember, but I've switched from willow to sycamore and made my drill thinner and I can get smoke in a reasonable time. But the squeaking! It's so loud I swear the neighbours will call the police.

Now I know I'm letting self-consciousness thwart me, but surely the squeak is unnecessary, if not a sign that something's wrong.

Look forward to your advice! Many thanks

Jacob

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
If it smokes and squeeks your probably not putting enough pressure down which makes the drill and socket polish each other and squeek.

If it squeeks with no smoke its either not enough downward pressure, drill and baseboard are too hard, your drilling into a knot, ylthe woods resinous or its simply the wrong materials.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
A tiny bit of fine grit may help but like said push harder, you need to be removing material as dust which becomes the ember, at the moment is sounds like you are mainly polishing the wood.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just use your knife to remove the polishing on the spindle... They do glass up sometimes.

You should be able to drill and still chat away while you wait for the char to start producing. Once the notch is nice and full, go for the pressure/heat to light it up.

Sep 9, 2012
sussex
Hi maybe if you have not already put some green grass or green leafs in between the spindle and the bareing block this acts as lubricant and also makes it easyer to put more pressure downwards and help the spindle turn ,the grit inbetween the base block will also help the spindle to move with incresed pressure

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I thought it would mean its a bit wet/damp which of course has implications

If the woods slightly green it'll squeek but if your sets completely dry you can leave it in a bucket of water for ten minutes and still get an ember without too much problem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE