Squaring the back side of a Mora for Firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just got a stainless Mora and it's tough getting a decent spark from a Firesteel using the back of the blade with it.

I have used a file and Japanese wetstones to square up my carbon steel Mora, but is this the best way to do it? Any tips?

Thanks,

Doc

RobG

Oct 19, 2006
MD, USA
Best tip I have is to try the spine close to the tip of the knife.

I've had decent luck throwing sparks there.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Best tip I have is to try the spine close to the tip of the knife.

I've had decent luck throwing sparks there.

That's what I normally use on my Carbon Steel Mora. The Stainless Mora doesn't work so well at that. I think that the spine is a little rounded....

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A diamond file, stones, wet and dry on a hard piece of flat board, whatever does it best really. A sharp edge will work best, as in a sharp right angle or similar. Don't use the blade edge itself, I don't expect you to, but it's more for the benefit if anybody new to the game!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I gave my stainless clipper a wee tickle with a bench grinder near the handle, sparks great now. Doesn't need more than a second or two to get an edge, just don't let it heat up at all.

Cheers,

Alan

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I gave my stainless clipper a wee tickle with a bench grinder near the handle, sparks great now. Doesn't need more than a second or two to get an edge, just don't let it heat up at all.

Cheers,

Alan

Ah, if only I had a bench grinder. I can just see She-who-must-be-obeyed's face when I say to her, "Honey... I need a bench grinder so that I can, amongst other things, put a square edge on the back of my knife so that I can strike sparks from my firesteel."

I'm all for power tools, but I'm choosing my battles. I'd rather have a compound miter saw. It'd take a while for me to grind off a finger (says he who's had a finger in a bench grinder back in the day). I could take off a whole limb rather quickly with one of these. ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hey Doc,

You need what I understand is called a ‘mill file’ in the US. Personally, I would buy a ‘*******’, a ‘second cut’ and a ‘smooth’, just to cover all the bases. The key to success is to have a sharp edge on the spine of the knife, how you get there is up to you, but metal workers files seem to be the easiest way.

Incidentally, if you buy ‘single cut’ files they will only remove metal on the forward stroke, and if you buy ‘double cut’ they will remove metal both in the forward and backward stroke. If you elect to use ‘single cut’ files you need to lift the file at the end of each forward stoke, if you want to avoid blunting the file.

If you would like to refine the filed, square edge, even further the Japanese waterstones would do that job very well.

Cheers,
Paul.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey Doc,

You need what I understand is called a ‘mill file’ in the US. Personally, I would buy a ‘*******’, a ‘second cut’ and a ‘smooth’, just to cover all the bases. The key to success is to have a sharp edge on the spine of the knife, how you get there is up to you, but metal workers files seem to be the easiest way.

Incidentally, if you buy ‘single cut’ files they will only remove metal on the forward stroke, and if you buy ‘double cut’ they will remove metal both in the forward and backward stroke. If you elect to use ‘single cut’ files you need to lift the file at the end of each forward stoke, if you want to avoid blunting the file.

If you would like to refine the filed, square edge, even further the Japanese waterstones would do that job very well.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks for the info. I'll swing by Lowes on my way home.

And I've become addicted to the shiny edges I get after the 8000 grit waterstone and stropping. In my world, the rough edge post-filing will *need to be* refined. ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
You really should have a bench grinder to sharpen all your gardening tools, only about $40 from lowes or home depot and about £20 here in the UK. You know a garage full of power tools is the future ;) Buy it, sneak it into the garage and she'll never know :D (welcome to the darkside!)

Cheers,

Alan

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You really should have a bench grinder to sharpen all your gardening tools, only about $40 from lowes or home depot and about £20 here in the UK. You know a garage full of power tools is the future ;) Buy it, sneak it into the garage and she'll never know :D (welcome to the darkside!)

Cheers,

Alan

Ditto.

It's a battle worth choosing. Useful little tools for all sorts. A cheap one from B&Q or US equivalent is only £20 or so as said above.

I used mine to square the spine on my sebenza and it now throws fantastic sparks. A few gentle passes is all that is needed.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks for the info. I'll swing by Lowes on my way home.

And I've become addicted to the shiny edges I get after the 8000 grit waterstone and stropping. In my world, the rough edge post-filing will *need to be* refined. ;)

For throwing sparks, a square 90deg edge is perfect and a little rough is good too.

My sebenza after grinding...

regrind4.jpg

regrind5.jpg

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Postie just delivered my stainless Clipper (my first ever knife). tried it out on a piece of paper and like it said in the ad, it's ready to use straight from the box.......v.sharp.

Then tried the back edge on my firesteel, v.disapointing, four strikes = one tiny spark.

And just to prove that some newbies use the search button, found this thread.

If anyone wants me, i'll be in the garage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE