Square Foot Gardening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone follows or followed the growing protocol of Square Foot Gardening? Just thinking of trying it out as my growing can be chaotic at best.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I assume it's gardening in small spaces? I say: "Do it." Seed is cheap.
My young grandchildren live in a big city. All they have are the flower beds around the foundations of the house.
Carrots, peas, green beans, chives & herbs much to their delight.
Much to my delight and satisfaction, I have kids who promote food gardening.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I assume it's gardening in small spaces? I say: "Do it." Seed is cheap.
My young grandchildren live in a big city. All they have are the flower beds around the foundations of the house.
Carrots, peas, green beans, chives & herbs much to their delight.
Much to my delight and satisfaction, I have kids who promote food gardening.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
What did you find the Pro's were then?

I could grow more variety of stuff but in less overall quantity - it meant I could have veggies and stuff I grew myself even though we only had a balcony.

You can grow 2 things in the same square, for instance I would plant a courgette plant but while that was maturing I would be able to plant radishes around it and they would grow and harvest them first. Also when ever I pulled anything I put something else back in the hole

I liked it but it took careful planning, I have/had a book on it so will look that out for you as that helped

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I could grow more variety of stuff but in less overall quantity - it meant I could have veggies and stuff I grew myself even though we only had a balcony.

You can grow 2 things in the same square, for instance I would plant a courgette plant but while that was maturing I would be able to plant radishes around it and they would grow and harvest them first. Also when ever I pulled anything I put something else back in the hole

I liked it but it took careful planning, I have/had a book on it so will look that out for you as that helped

Thank , I tend to think I NEED something to tell me when, where and what to plant .

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Many years ago public broadcasting had a series called Square-foot Gardening. There was also a book related to the series ( I can't remember the name of it)
One tip was to plant 144 spring onions in a 12 by 12 inch square.
Some of it seemed a bit wasteful though. Planting a lot of seeds like radishes then when they sprouted you raked over them to thin them out.
It dealt with raised beds and such.
Jon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got a book on the subject...cant recall the title, Ill look it out.

I knew a man once who had a smallholding on a flat balcony.

Hutch of mini lops one end, Bantams the other, and some well netted pots (the livestock was loose on the balcony all day).

He then made a wee platform jutting out from the wall...on went a beehive.

Reactions: moocher

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Decent substrate, lot of watering, have you looked into vertical gardening as well?
I find Google images or Pinterest helpful for ideas.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Decent substrate, lot of watering, have you looked into vertical gardening as well?
I find Google images or Pinterest helpful for ideas.

Yes , I LIKE vertical gardening , mostly because its space savvy and it also means I don't have too bend over too often.
Hydroponics also interests me but set up can be pricey.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Yes I prefer watering can as you can control the amount better, and Ives you chance check plants over for disease, bugs etc.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I cannot find it however their is a revision of the book based in the uk.

Really enjoy this youtube channel One Yard Revolution. It not square foot however it would work that way. What he does with his DIY green house is really interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE