Spyderco UKPK new clothes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

I have been meaning to tart up my UKPK for a while now and with an aching shoulder and elbow after roughing out 20 bow staves it was time for a break. I didnt fancy going at this with my one and only UKPK which is over 7 years old and still going strong but thanks to Sandbender I had another one to play with.
This is only a test run but i intend to make a few sets of different scales for my trusty UKPK. I know there are some (BritishRed) ;) who loath the things but I really get on with it as an abuse daily carry.
The scales were a pain in the butt to align and work out the various countersink depths etc. Plus the fact its the first time I have used my pillar drill in anger. Lots of mistakes that are hard earned lessons, the next ones will be perfect. Great use for some of the bow making off-cuts I usually give away for burning.

Better pics when the sun comes out,

20140607_212428_zps7wi5z4au.jpg

20140607_212504_zpsu2fo0iky.jpg

20140607_211120_zpsdgu2v42n.jpg

20140607_212455_zpsqg7skdyf.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely work Dwardo - great craftsmanship

..in fact some of the nicest lipstick I have ever seen on a pig ;)

ETA

If I'd known you wanted a spare, you could have had mine for nowt. In fact. if you want it, drop me a PM and I'll get it off to you (provided I can find it)

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely work Dwardo - great craftsmanship

..in fact some of the nicest lipstick I have ever seen on a pig ;)

ETA

If I'd known you wanted a spare, you could have had mine for nowt. In fact. if you want it, drop me a PM and I'll get it off to you (provided I can find it)

They cant be that bad can they?? Steel is good and take a lot of abuse well. Thin blade for the more very day cutting duties. Yes over priced and the handle could do with a lesson on ergos` but they are lightweight unobtrusive in the pocket, not on it granted but that's the US$ talking too.

If you are going to just ignore or abuse a poor UKPK please donate to "dwardo`s UKPK rescue center" Maybe I can change the handle and make warm your heart to it?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Happy to donate to the cause - let me have an address and I'll bung it in the post - the existing scales are stained with bitumen etc which has prevented me "gifting it on" till now, but its yours for an addy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Happy to donate to the cause - let me have an address and I'll bung it in the post - the existing scales are stained with bitumen etc which has prevented me "gifting it on" till now, but its yours for an addy

Thanks Red. Once I receive it safe and sound I will be reporting you to the RSPUKP so expect a visit soon, shame on you.
I am sure I can find something in return, have a think.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Im with Dwardo on this one! They're really nice little things!
My student budget meant I could only stretch to a Tern (basically the same knife) but its such a useful little thing!

Looks really nice with the wooden scales though, and I think I'm gonna have to make a little formed sheath like that for mine! goodjob

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks chaps and thanks again Red.
This one was a test-run really to figure out the drill depths and sizes. I wish I had book matched pair at the time but it was my last bit of coco.
You do need certain wood characteristics to make the scales usable. The wood must follow the grain or its far to weak. The wood must also be very dense or the scales just flex too much in the hand. I did try a set from a character bit of maple but it was impossible to follow the grain so they also came out far too weak.
Will be on the lookout for suitable bits of timber.

Demonwolf444

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Ripon, North Yorkshire
I find mine very carry - able. Again poor young guy here so i could not afford to shell out. Out of all the knives I've tried my fieldcrafter UK blank blade gets a lot of abuse and by UKPK gets a lot of abuse. This being said ergonomics are terrible the handle just gets lost in my hands, but because its small i am pretty good at carrying it and always have it when i need it; and when i need it its sharp and a good working blade.

As above love that little carry sheath, its pretty cool! And those wooden grips look awesome too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE