Spyderco Sharpmaker Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm posting this in the Kit Chatter section as it's a review of a piece of equipment, rather than putting it in the Edged Tools section where it might get lost amongst other sharpening threads.

Ever since I can remember, I have been able to sharpen just about any blade, by eye or feel to produce an edge noticeably keener than a lot of people around me.
Then a few years ago I became interested in Blade making and Bushcraft, where folk often dropped into conversation "...shaving sharp" or "...hair popping sharp" and that started me thinking about my technique again. There were methods being discussed that I hadn't heard about, the Hoodoo hone, the Starkie, amongst others. So I felt obliged to try a few of them out - and true enough, these methods were indeed able to give an edge sharp enough to shave hairs from my arm. I had been able to do it in the past but I needed to concentrate and take a huge amount of time.
I had toyed with some home-made guides to get a consistant angle to my sharpening technique but it all became a bit too fiddly, removing the enjoyment of sharpening it by hand.

I noticed the Spyderco Sharpmaker a couple of times and put myself off by looking at the price in the UK. I thought - "would the set, produce an edge that is £50 better than I can do by hand!" I "Ummed" and "Ahhed" for a few weeks then, as was inevitable, placed an order for one. It arrived last week, so you could say that I'm still getting used to it.

The package contains;-
the Sharpmaker itself, described as being able to fit in a shirt pocket - it would have to be a big pocket, but at about 8 x 3 x 1 inches, it is hardly a big lump to carry around.
an instruction book, showing the steps necessary to sharpen just about anything that has a blade.
and a DVD, describing how to use your new sharpening system - led by Sal Glesser, the founder of Spyderco.

In the introductory sequences of the DVD, he is shown chopping through a hand-held length of thick rope in one cut, and more intrigueing to me, sharpening a piece of paper like you would a pencil!
My first thoughts were that this was a set up, as surely you couldn't get an edge to do this sort of thing outside of Hollywood with their camers tricks and computer generated half truths.

Well I set about re-edging a few of my knives that I thought were pretty sharp anyway and on each occaision, I came up with an edge that could shave hairs off my arm, and with two knives where the blade does not even have to touch the skin to do it!
This system has the ability to sharpen plain or serrated knives as well as scissors, nail clippers and much more besides. It is small enough to be transportable with ease, but not so small that you might experience difficulty with a larger bladed tool. It has caused me to have a major rethink about my hand sharpening skills and has introduced me to a whole new world of properly sharpened blades. It is convenient to use and gives stunning results every time. If you can hold a blade straight up/down while you move is against the stones, you can use it too. To me, it was definately worth the money as it really does give an edge that is £50 sharper than I could get by other methods.

If you want to keep yout knives sharp, get a Spyderco Sharpmaker - you'll have to go a long way to beat it.

Ogri the trog

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Interesting comments. I've heard lots of good things about this piece of equipment. I reckon I'm going to have to get one.

I've got quite a few knives that are, what shall I say, less than sharp. This sharpener sounds like an easy way of working for somebody like myself.

BTW they are often on ebay for around 36GBP.

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
i have heard so much good stuff about this set up .as far as i can work out you start with the edge nearest the handle and draw backwards and downwards to the tip?what is the technique for sharpening the tip ?as they reckon if your not careful you can round it off. thanks for the review it's convinced me even more to get one.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for putting up this thread. I, like you had always prided myself that I could put a good edge on anything, with a 'bit' of effort, but now realise, after seeing the edges on others knifes that I am not up to it as I thought. Where do you get these sharpeners from ?
Jon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cheers guys,
I got mine through Ebay direct from the States as its significantly cheaper than buying one in the UK all in about £36 :cool: as opposed to the £50ish plus postage in good old Blighty.
Go for it, you won't regret it.

Disco,
Sharpening the tip of a knife is just like sharpening the edge, just ease off the pressure at the end of the stroke or you will,as you say, round it off.

ATb

Ogri the trog

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Thanks for the review. It always amazes me when a knife can do seemingly magical things with it cutting ability, although it's certainly annoying when my sharpening abilities leave something to be desired!

Does the Sharpmaker sharpen the edge you already have, or does it create its own bevel? Considering the different types of grinds available, how does it deal with them?

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
mark a. said:
Thanks for the review.
Does the Sharpmaker sharpen the edge you already have, or does it create its own bevel? Considering the different types of grinds available, how does it deal with them?

Mark

Mark.
The system has the option for two set angles for knife sharpening, 40 degrees for the edge or micro bevel as it is sometimes refered to. And 30 degrees for a "Back Bevel" allowing the user to put a fine 30 deg. taper on the body of the blade and terminate the edge at 40 deg. There's nothing stopping you from using 30 deg all the way to the edge, other than the slightly weaker support to the edge itself.
I have seen discussions about people who put one of the unused rods under one end of the base to create other angles, but from my experience they are unnecessary as the 30/40 deg combination works so well.
The system does not so much change the grind of a blade, as it deals mainly with the last few millimeters of the edge itself, the original grind will remain (unless you want it to change) but as Sal Glesser claims, you're likley to end up with an edge sharper than when it left the factory. I'm now able to shave my arm with everything from a ten year old SAK to a £1-99 axe from an a farm supplies shop!

ATB

Ogri the trog

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Cheers, good sir. Definitely sounds like a neat system. I was going to geta couple of hones to supplement my Norton 4000/8000 to sort out my Mora, but maybe the Sharpmaker could go on my Christmas list instead. I need to sharpen my SAK too - sounds like the Sharpmaker would be ideal for that.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jon Pickett said:
Ogri..........Are you now bald.............Jon

Hahaha,
Not quite, but there are some curiously smooth patches on one arm - it seems to have coincided with wearing long-sleeved shirts when meeting sheeple. Especially those who can't understand the answer to "Why do you need a knife that sharp?" to be "So I don't cut myself!" :cool:

Ogri the trog

PS if there is a chance that you can get on the passaround, take it, though you won't want to pass it on ;)

OTT

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I wouldn't reccomend it. I use my sharpmaker for anything with a secondary bevel, but I would use waterstones for full-flat or scandi grinds. The problem with a secondary bevel is that it can make working with wood trickier to control.
That being said I wouldn't reccomend learning to use waterstones with one of Alan's knives. Practice on something cheap like a mora until you've got your technique down. I ruined a lovely knife like this when I was learning. :rolleyes:

That being said there are some BBmembers who use sharpmakers on scandis by angling the blade as they sharpen. I tried it, didn't like it and stuck with waterstones which I find a more satisfying sharpening experience anyway.
:)

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Thought that would be the case Marts! It's a shame thay're not to be recommended - I'll do anything for an easy life!

I've got a full set of waterstones and have been practising on a Mora. A couple of weeks ago I plucked up the courage to have a go at sharpening my Woody. I can get the main part of the blade nice and sharp but am struggling with the last inch or so. It's starting to develop a secondary bevel :eek: . I'll practice a bit more on the Mora I think :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I recon Marts is right there Mat.
For a full flat grind, the Spyderco stones are too narrow and they'll probably score the face of the blade too much,spoiling the look of the knife.
While, for the moment, I recon the Sharpmaker is very good, it won't cope with every situation, which is where the waterstones (and many others) come into their element.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE