Spurtles

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tbh, I don't find the turned stick ones any better than a spoon or a flat spatula. They can actually be a bit uncomfortable to use all the while the porridge is coming to the boil. I use the flat one my Dad made though and it is really good. It stops the porridge sticking to the bottom and it gets right into the corner to scrape out there too, and it's not tiring to use.

Each to their own though.

Toddy.....who made porridge every single day that way for years on end :) but see now ? rolled oats are great in the microwave :D
So is the meal that needs soaked first, though it takes a bit of stop/let it rest/start again, for best results.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is a proper design for a spoon in my kitchen. It has one square bottom corner, one round bottom corner, a flat bottom. It can scrape, push food down the side of a pan AND fit into the curved edge between wall and base.

Its a simple product - but a vital one.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
There is a proper design for a spoon in my kitchen. It has one square bottom corner, one round bottom corner, a flat bottom. It can scrape, push food down the side of a pan AND fit into the curved edge between wall and base.

Its a simple product - but a vital one.
Any chance of a picture of the vital spoon? Then I can perhaps have a go at carving some, including the two foot jobs.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll take one for you later

Its a shame you aren't closer - I could have given you a mammoth amount of sycamore - my buddy took the top off a large one for me today that was fouling the phone line - not the weather really for climbing with a top handled saw (40mph wind and the rain coming in sideways) but he managed it without drama thankfully.

Still it'll go on the range and burn nicely. Always seems a shame when people struggle to get wood to just chop it up and burn it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres the type of shape - this one is quite worn as you can see. I have others where the flat bottom is 90 degrees to the handle - that is perect in my book.

Spoon by British Red, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE