Spurtles

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've been doing a bit more pole lathe turning, and now I have a big wide chisel (see earlier thread) I thought I'd have a go at some spurtles.

I think I'm getting the hang of it, and the wide chisel certainly helps. Incidentally, if there are any traditional porridge makers on here, perhaps they can explain why a spurtle (essentially a stick) is better for stirring porridge than a spoon.

Also I turned some tool handles, some of which are left unparted so they can be remounted on the lathe after drying out, in order to turn the shoulders accurately for fitting the ferrules.

Thanks for looking.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You can't have too many spurtles!

When I was a youngster nobody would allow any metal implement to be used in the cooking OR the eating of porridge; although we used metal cutlery and china to eat with and from, but porridge was always eaten from a wooden bowl and with a wooden spoon. My mother is too old and tired now to be able to recall such things as the reason for this, but I'm sure somebody here will know why.

Nice work there!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its one of my pet hates - you can't get wooden cookware in long lengths :( I make home made soup in 20 litre batches and cook down 5 gallons of chopped onion at a time. Try doing that with a wooden spoon from Tesco - you either burn your hand or the food !

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
There is a lot to be said for a long spoon, especially when cooking a stew over a camp fire. I randomly saw a couple at a wood fair that are about 20" long & they have proved very useful over the years. Spurtles on the other hand don't do a lot for me...

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Prompted by British Red I have made a slightly bigger spurtle.

I could maybe make one a couple of inches longer with some modifications to my pole lathe, but to make a two foot spurtle would need a longer lathe (actually not that difficult, just need two longer hardwood beams, and use the existing legs, headstock and tailstock).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
British Red.....if you can get to Wilkinson's, they had long 'jam pot' spoons in beside the Kilner stuff.
LeCreuset and Denby both had long, large spoons too, as did Pro Cook. All much more expensive than Wilkinson's though :)

Spurtles don't need to be round, it's just that it's a nice shape for a latheworker to make for craft show, etc., thistle topped and it looks 'authentic'. It works quite well in the pot too :)
I suppose originally they'd just look for a straight stick and clean that up tidily.
Those are neat though, Muddypaws :)

My spurtle is hand carved, not turned, with an angled wedge shape at the end of the stick, and a thistle on top :) My Father made it for me when we got married, and he said his Grandpa had shown him how to carve them when he was a wee boy. My Uncle said that the old man had taught him too, and said that his Grandfather had shown him how when he was little too, so at least first quarter of the 1800's.
My Granny on the other side of the family had a similarly shaped one too, so it must have been relatively common.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When king and kirk sit down tae sup, wha needs the langer spoon?
When Scotland hides her head in shame and justice looks awa’
An' the scaffold buys an English throne wi’ the bravest heirt of a’

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red.....if you can get to Wilkinson's, they had long 'jam pot' spoons in beside the Kilner stuff.
LeCreuset and Denby both had long, large spoons too, as did Pro Cook. All much more expensive than Wilkinson's though :)

The jam spoons come nowhere close Mary - I'm looking for spoons to stir pans that cook 5 gallons at a time - I have one designed for reaching to the bottom of a 30 litre brewing vessel - but I'd love a few more for huge curries, chillies stews and sauces that I cook then can. Something in the 24" minimum size

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE