Spring equinox walk

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Spring equinox walk.

Yesterday we took the little one out for his first ever spring equinox walk.

We went to Alton Water in Suffolk just because we knew it would be good terrain for the buggy.

When we arrived it was wetter than expected.

So we took a bit of a detour out towards birch tree wood and towards some Geocaches. The terrain was a bit rougher but the little one seems to enjoy the bumpy rides. A land rover driver in the making.

Found this fungus on a dead standing birch. I've not looked up what it is yet.

We stopped for lunch.

I lit the fire with my fire rid as I don't have a steel striker yet, but I used char cloth and collected tinder in the walk. Cooked on the base if the Kelly kettle with dead wood that has falled on the bridle way. So nothing chopped or sawn. In fact, I didn't use my knife all day.

Interestingly I discovered that the best striker on my vic forester is the can opener.

We all enjoyed our lunch.

We tidied up after ourselves.

A lovely trip out. It was only about 5 miles but we spent a bit of time bushcrafting and Geocaching. The sun was out and it was a very welcome begging to spring.

Highly recommend Alton water and birch tree woods for family days.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice report, so much nicer around there when its out of the holiday season as it gets very busy at times.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Yes. A very clever one at the entrance to the wood. You pull a string I an oak tree and an owl flaps it's wings.

There is also a large fake log and an ammo can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE