Spring assisted knives anyone?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
What are your thoughts on spring assisted knives guys and gals?

I'm looking at getting a good quality one when a few quid comes my way and I'd like to know opinions on them.

What brand/model would you reccommend?

Do they make EDC models for us Brits?

Thanks for any advice and opinions on the topic and with any luck I'll be able to make a better informed purchase!

P.S, I am not refering to flick knives or switch blades which are prohibited in the UK! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted-opening_knife

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
What are your thoughts on spring assisted knives guys and gals?

I'm looking at getting a good quality one when a few quid comes my way and I'd like to know opinions on them.

What brand/model would you reccommend?

Do they make EDC models for us Brits?

Thanks for any advice and opinions on the topic and with any luck I'll be able to make a better informed purchase!

P.S, I am not refering to flick knives or switch blades which are prohibited in the UK! :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted-opening_knife

I thought these were prohibited too ? maybees am wrong !

Jason

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nah they're legal, section 139 of the criminal justice act mentions knives operated by buttons or gravity as being banned. The spring assisted knives open by manual pressure to the back of the blade or the thumb stud..so technically by pass the laws definition..correct me if I'm wrong though guys.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Not illegal - I have one in the form of a rescue knife...but try explaining the difference to an overworked bobby!

That is a good thing to remember, not every copper knows the rules and regulations to the book.

Do they make non-locking spring assisted knives?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm liking the one handed opening style of knives at the moment, makes my knives more usable and less fiddly when working in my garden. The svord is a beauty of a knife for garden work but I got a spring assisted through from a trade and I really like it and fancy a few more.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
What you;re looking for is generally referred to as an Assisted Opener.
There are a fer brands making them,
SOG are meant to make a good one, as do CRKT
Another brand to look out for is Microtech.

In my opinion though, they are only one Judges ruling away from being regarded switchblades.
The difference between the two types is too small for my tastes.
They are not really suited for bushcraft as they tend to be more Tactical in their design.
You'd be better off asking on the British Blades website.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ah ok, I'll check them out. Good idea about the BB, I don't really like the site but it'll be mroe suited.

Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE