Spreaders and teaspoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
spreaders+teaspoons.jpg

Two simple, easy and useful woodcarving items.

The first is fairly standard Scandinavian style spreaders, for putting butter (etc) on bread. The key point in making them functional is the angle of the edge to the handle; about 45 degrees, or a little bit less. That way your hand is well clear of the bread as you work. The straight handle one is oldest, and proves that even with a simple handle the proper blade makes for a nice utensil. The more bulbous handle on the two top ones are nicer in the hand, though. All three are made from birch, carved green.

The second row is what I call "teaspoons", and I use them for loose leaf tea; I keep one in each tin of tea, and thus always have a spoon for transferring it from tin to filter. Again, carved from green birch.

The lesson here is that it is quite simple to make items that one can use every day, and thus put craft into ones daily life.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat :D

We call those 'teaspoons' Caddy spoons........the old name for a tin or box that held tea is a caddy.
I like the idea of wooden ones :) Do they pick up the scent of the tea ? Like Lapsang souchong ? or even Earl Grey?

I wouldn't have thought to make a spreader that shape but I bet it's great for crackers and oatcakes :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,
Toddy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Neat :D

We call those 'teaspoons' Caddy spoons........the old name for a tin or box that held tea is a caddy.

Ahh! I learn a new word. Wonderful! Caddy spoon, caddy spoon, remember the word.

I like the idea of wooden ones :) Do they pick up the scent of the tea ? Like Lapsang souchong ? or even Earl Grey?

I wouldn't have thought to make a spreader that shape but I bet it's great for crackers and oatcakes :)

I'll send you one of each and you can check for yourself! No more time before the weekend, but if I don't take a break from grading math exams I will become vicious, so I need to make something then anyway. Small or big hands? IIRC someone claimed you were a 6'4" ex-Royal Marine, that would indicate big hands... :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: You've been listening to Drewdunnrespect :) :eek: He's not scared of me now though :D

I'm only 157cms tall and I've got little hands....I take a 6.5 in a glove.

Good luck with the Maths papers.....HWMBLT taught Physics, he needed a break too :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE