Spotted this property for sale in Scotland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
From the photographs of the land it looks as if there's little or no fencing; a very expensive hobby indeed, fencing such an acreage, even if you do it yourself. It seems that the cottage and land were originally part of the neighbouring farm, but even if not you'd have to seriously wonder why the farmer doesn't want it; I've never met a farmer that didn't want to buy more land and especially that which borders his own..........

Food for thought, methinks..............

I love the idea of the flying goats though, I must say :)

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Having never been that far North it seems ashame it is so bleak, here in Kent you cannot even get a bedsit for that price, suppose I will have to win the lottery to get out of here?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nope. No mention of antiquities.

I saw a house on Lewis for sale a few years back; Had hut circles and a Celtic Christian site.

Mind you, it was 250K

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
you'd have to seriously wonder why the farmer doesn't want it
that would be my thoughts, and although the area for us townies seems massive the farm next door is pretty close, looking on Google Earth the farm building is well within shouting distance, so not quite the isolated property you might think, it's also a shared driveway with the farmer.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Having never been that far North it seems ashame it is so bleak, here in Kent you cannot even get a bedsit for that price, suppose I will have to win the lottery to get out of here?

Exactly my thoughts with the lottery win and the same round here, i am in and around the Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire borders and you will need a he'll of a lot more cash!

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
If you bought the place and wanted to fence it in, you could possibly get a very good grant from the highlands and islands development board to cover the cost. It's not really that bleak up there, lived about 5 miles away from there for three years and i only ever saw a light sprinkling of snow in all that time.

Last edited:

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
farmer doesn't want it; I've never met a farmer that didn't want to buy more land and especially that which borders his own..........

think he already has use of it the cottage land looks to be reguraly mown, seems to be some trees on the land so more can be planted its a place for a youngster with ideas

greenshoots

greenshoots

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Folks who live that far up the East coast accept that one buys a house to live in, not to speculate with, because like the folks trying to sell this property now, they likely won't even get back what they have spent on the house.
It's a very different ethos to down south.

Unless you have a secure income, and are generally physically very able, then it can be both a lonely and hard place to live.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Folks who live that far up the East coast accept that one buys a house to live in, not to speculate with, because like the folks trying to sell this property now, they likely won't even get back what they have spent on the house.
It's a very different ethos to down south.
M

And that's exactly as it should be, in my book.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Mine too. When your house costs multiples of the rebuild cost there is something way wrong

Not really, just reflects the land value, which is driven by supply and demand (or lack of) for a particular area.

Looks pretty bleak part of the world to me, much as I like the idea of having some land to play with :)

Cheers, Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not really, just reflects the land value, which is driven by supply and demand (or lack of) for a particular area.

Cheers, Paul

I agree with how the mechanism works. I still think it indicates an underlying issue. That's not a subject for here though.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Totally off-grid with very little land - doesn't seem all that cheap to me!

Agreed, the views are nice, but I reckon it would be an expensive place to live. I've lived off-grid and easy to underestimate the bills for fuel.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
defo a rip-off imho - google highlands and islands property for sale filter PRICES LOW TO HIGH - houses needing attention, with land, from £30K...
Also check out crofting sites - it's hard to make a living - but many crofters and incomers do so with add-ons eg part-time jobs, craft work, tourism, e-business etc

Matt77

Dec 6, 2014
Scotland
Plenty of fuel there, as it sits on forestry commission land. And as I said, I'm from that neck of the woods. I know free range pig farmers, crofters the like, all with a 5 minute drive. I don't want a house that needs attention as I have a young family, and having a home set up, off grid for that price is not any thing like a rip off. When was the last time you looked at property prices in Lochaber? 😂😂😂

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I think that they are actually selling the property in 2 lots - £125K for the actual church and £35K for the Sunday School room, £160K total. I have heard that the Church of Scotland can be a nightmare to buy from, lots of very long delays and broken missives, and it's not always possible to get planning permission to convert to dwelling, and a lot of the buildings are sold with very little attached land, with graveyards remaining consecrated right beside it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE