sports direct

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
I challenge you to back up your astonishing statement with actual, verifiable confirmation that what you post about the board members and managers of this company has any basis in fact!

Reminds me of the KFC type colonel challenging Homer Simpson to a duel episode. You can challenge all you want but I have the privilege of whom I choose to tangle with and maintain my standards. I don't see why you have to impose a uniformity of opinion on thread subjects you partake in. There are as many views as human beings and flaming helps no one. I've spent several hundred pounds in the last 6 months in their shops and in a few cases of changing faulty items within a few days (faulty bag zip unseen at purchase, dented item in packaging, leakage) I have seen that the management and their immediate underlings are down right nasty.

I give you an example which made me decide not to shop there any more. There was a lady in the information desk queue in front of me. She was really upset as they had kept her waiting for 45 minutes as she claimed, not wanting to replace a faulty item she bought the day before! She was finally joined by her boyfriend and dealt with and left. Next my turn. I was returning a mat that I had left inflated in the room over night without even sleeping on it. It had deflated to a major degree, no just a little, in the morning. I asked them to change it. They said where is it leaking? Did you try to submerge it? They usually don't leak? We are not prepared to change it unless the store manager OKs it? This seems suspicious? At this point people in the queue mainly due to the lady who had just left after a long time were getting restless and actully shouting at them in my support. So I said to the two deputy managers not only your questions are stupid but the way you think is too and I explain to you why. I can change the item within 28 days with a gift card of the same value according to your own rules. Then I can buy anything or just keep it or just buy the same mat again. Now I am just trying to change it with another hoping it works. Why in the world would I waste time and money coming down here and change it if it works? I am not going to take the kind of language you were dishing out to the lady before me. Either change it now or make more work for yourselves and give me the gift card. Either of which case shows up your stupid questioning and thinking as well as unnecessary waste of my and other people's time. With people laughing at them they did not say anything more and the new mat I got is just fine. As I said their gear shop in Covent Garden is OK and their floor staff in London branches, mainly students from here & East Europe and the Indian subcontinent, are nice working people working if a little hurried due to a lot of work and probably little pay.

They don't make or design anything and are just box-shifters and as typical asset strippers of 'producing/designing companies' we already see what they have done to F&T and Karrimor which will not get any better in time IMHO. It is not just me or the people in the queue who each had a story but in London they have a bad reputation amongst high street chains and it is obviously due to the culture created by store managers that their board and HQ managers employ. There is always a few who want the rest of the world to have identical opinions as them which makes one think what's the use in replying to their harsh tones. It seems a waste of time to me. Goodbye.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
If your boots "fell apart in a fortnight", return them for a refund!

Helixpteron - Thats exactly what I did! And then went somewhere else and bought from them instead. I will be going back to the other shop, not to Sports Direct.

I'm sure a PR person for the company could have done no better than to write 'Sports direct have rescued, reinvested and restructured "once decent bits of the UK outdoor market" which would otherwise have ceased to exist. In doing so, they retained jobs which would have been lost, created new ones, and continued to offer gear at competitive prices on the high street and web.'. Their prices might be cheap, but this largely through buying once venerable companies cheap, moving the production to low cost centres, and selling largely through Sports Direct, or its associated companies (Mike Ashley owns 29% of Blacks).

However, they have run into problems:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jul/16/sports-direct-profits-crash
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/oct/28/mike-ashley-newcastle-united-sports-direct,

and faces a SFO investigation for price fixing. That cheap kit my not be so cheap after all.

I used to really like Karrimor kit (I've used some of their old stuff for 15 years), and while you could argue that its good that the company has survived, its seems that making it a shadow of its former self is a sad waste of a proud heritage and a good name.
I want reasonably priced kit, well made, with investment in quality. Sports Direct could have done that, but instead largely went down the route of 'cheap tat sells'. Thats sad.

Good names like Blacks (which has its own problems due to bad management) and Field & Trek should survive, but only if they think about the customer. My experience of Sports Direct is that it really doesn't bother. Looking through the comments here, most others seem to agree.

Jakata - if you don't want to spend a large amount, TKMaxx isn't bad (the base layers I bought from them recently have been very useful this week!), and your local surplus shop is often a good place. Of course Endicotts http://www.endicotts.co.uk/ is fantastic. You don't need to spend a huge amount on kit, and reading the forums have really helped me get the most suitable kit for reasonable cost.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Helixpteron
I'm sure a PR person for the company could have done no better than to write 'Sports direct have rescued, reinvested and restructured "once decent bits of the UK outdoor market" which would otherwise have ceased to exist. In doing so, they retained jobs which would have been lost, created new ones, and continued to offer gear at competitive prices on the high street and web.'

Good names like Blacks (which has its own problems due to bad management) and Field & Trek should survive, but only if they think about the customer. My experience of Sports Direct is that it really doesn't bother. Looking through the comments here, most others seem to agree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not buying a failing company, refinancing it by covering its existing and future liabilities, and restructuring it in order that having bought and reinvested in the company, it won't go the same way that led to its having to be bought in the first place, not a rescue?

Which jobs would have been saved, how many jobs would have been created, and which gear would have been offered in shops or online had the buyout not taken place?

This is the financial reality of F&T, not, as you imply,some sycophantic PR on my part.

Your comment that "good names like Blacks and F&T should survive", miss the point, which is that there exists no right that any company "should survive", only that by good management (at all levels) a thorough appreciation of their market and customer base will a company actually have a chance to survive.

I'd like nothing more than to see Blacks and F&T stocked to the rafters with a thorough and well priced range of the type of gear which I'd like to buy, and all staff with excellent experience, whereas the reality is that they have to sell what generates income, and lots of it.

The property boom killed vast amounts of businesses which simply could not pay the huge increases in commercial rents, those that survive have the internet 'shops' (in all their spectrum of incarnations) and fellow high street retailers to compete with.

The bottom line is that from a consumer perspective, we tend to root out the very best price that we can. I certainly do, avidly!

Its almost hypocrisy that I'm sad that Borders Book shop in Charing Cross Road is closing down (the group is in liquidation) but the truth is that I buy all my legal and personal interest books online..... And in doing so I save a great deal of money.

Perhaps because we use our gear for bushcrafting, paddling etc, that we feel passionate about it, its sources, suitability etc. In truth each of us probably spends 1000's % more in Tesco's, Morrisons or Sainsbury's, yet I can't imagine that we'd be discussing those companies in the same manner that we do with outdoor gear sellers!

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
just realised my saftey boots for work are karrmior, the last lot lasted 20 months before i replaced them... not bad for £16.49. not too clever in this snow though :)

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Boots, get a size larger for comfier mail order boots and thick socks, click on next pages for more:
http://www.mandmdirect.com/productl...ng=&A=resetsearch&Filters=1|1|Mens~~2|5|Boots

also:
3-in-1 (incl. fleece) Jacket, XL & XXL, delivered free, £14:
http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do?...&product=598260371&Nty=1&Ntx=mode matchallpar
XL sold out now since first posting.

Le Coq Sportif 5-piece bag set, delivered free, £4.50
http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/...Dx=mode+matchall&thisprod=553840894&N=103+152

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
just realised my saftey boots for work are karrmior, the last lot lasted 20 months before i replaced them... not bad for £16.49. not too clever in this snow though :)

I've found these to be perfect for snow, and unlike boots, one is enough! Merry Christmas Guy's!
happy0054.gif

MogInSnow1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE