Spork Heads up in Milletts

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just been in my local millets and they are selling off stainless folding wire sporks for £2.99

kinda like these (top left) by alpkit (which are titanium btw!)

pi_16378.jpeg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What they like (Titanium or not) when your eating a good steak ? Lets be honest, this type of gimmick is fine for eating rat pack meals or a tin of beans, but you can't seriously use them for real food?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
well the fuss when it came out that sporks were being sold with a folding stock has died down somewhat but as a thing to stick in your pocket next to your folding cup they are great. I do prefer the non folding version and like the look of the light my fire titanium which might replace my snow peak ones, if I was going to eat a steak then I'd be cutting with the serrated blade on my swisstool anyway as its probably the only thing up to the job :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They do lock up fairly securely. Eating steak would be off, but as they fold down small I finfd it sits in my cafetiere with my salt and pepper in nalgene bottles really well. It is a space saving device. Of course, i could ditch all eating utensils and carve up a spoon or a set of chop sticks in a few minutes, but I don't want to be carving all day every day!

For rat pack use, simple stews, etc they do OK.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
if i ever get round to doing the southwest coastpath in one stint (kinda been my dream like forever). I think i could embrace the whole Ray Jardine/ultralight movement, and perhaps look at drilled spoons and titanium cups without the smirk, that i normally do.

But for general travelling/camping, ive always thought that a regular stainless household fork, spoon, tea spoon and even a knife, are so useful, and 'normal' that those few extra grammes i can kindve live with.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
well the fuss when it came out that sporks were being sold with a folding stock has died down somewhat but as a thing to stick in your pocket next to your folding cup they are great. I do prefer the non folding version and like the look of the light my fire titanium which might replace my snow peak ones, if I was going to eat a steak then I'd be cutting with the serrated blade on my swisstool anyway as its probably the only thing up to the job :)

Serrated blade, how do you cook your steak Dave;)

Gizzmos's like these spoons/sporks get on my pip to be honest, makes me wonder how I've survived the last 40 years of camping:rolleyes: I class them along side Titanium mugs (sorry, cooking pots for those that can live out of a 500ml pot), SA Trangia's and over priced torches and grossly over priced Ventile jackets; all over rated IMHO

I'll get me coat (not Ventile) :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, those folding spoons don't look up to much, just for stirring your tea.

A tub of frozen ice cream can defeat most normal cutlery (the type that is stamped from flat sheet stock), they'd have no chance.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I like sporks (I have a light my fire plastic one) because they take up less room in my gear, and I can actualy fit them easily into my messtins (unlike my kfs set, which is slightly too long. the weight I can take or leave, but the space saving is worth it. on the other hand it is a problem because you cant hold something in place with the fork, while cutting it with the blade. a folding spoon like that might be worth it for my brew kit....

A tub of frozen ice cream can defeat most normal cutlery (the type that is stamped from flat sheet stock), they'd have no chance.

where do you find frozen icecream out in the woods?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I admit that I carry a normal kfs but picked this up for the size convenience - ie it will fold and pack inside my mug for occasional use ;)

I'm very defiantly not a lightweight gear freak but like things that have a niche and use

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
where do you find frozen icecream out in the woods?

Always have a spoon no matter where I'm staying. This is after trying to eat a Hagen Daaz with a knife blade after a drinking session. :O

No injuries, but it was a pita to eat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE