Spoonmakers basket.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Well, after just over two years work I have finally managed to replace my Scandinavian edge tools with superb tools made by craftsmen here in the British Isles.

MaChris+B+002.jpg

I have, over the last two years, developed the MaChris bushcraft knife with Chris Grant.
A beautiful carver and camp knife made in 52100 bearing steel. I use this knife exclusively now for my work.
I have also been working with Nic Westermann on an Axe design.
Between us we have come up with a compact, comfortable and versatile design that I find very useful in my line of work.

The tech spec for the MacNicaxe.

The axe is made from a bar of mild steel split and drifted to facilitate an eye.
An insert of silver steel is welded into the split.
The silver steel is tempered to be tough and is hard enough to to keep a fine edge without chipping or rolling.
The hardness is around 58RC.
The cutting edge is flat ground (Scandi style) at just under 30 degrees.

I guess some of you will compare this to the GB Carver.
Well, I have yet managed to control a comfortable thumb push with the GBC, and the GB is a little unforgiving for those of us who like to choke up the head.

NicMacaxe+2+013.jpg

The ability to thumb push on both heel and toe is welcome when roughing out.

NicMacaxe+2+003.jpg

I love old tools, but I also enjoy trying to develop edge tools that are comfortable in the hands of the craftspeople that use them.

Enjoy.
J.​

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of the axe Mac, read up about it on your blog.
When is it available for sale or is it still in it's infancy, quite like the idea of using one for carving spoons and kuksa's, I have been looking at getting the GB carver but have been hanging back a while.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Lovely looking tools and spoons too. Just checked out your blog which has great photos of your axe techniques. Haven't used an axe for that stage of carving so really interesting food for thought. Thanks for sharing

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Very nice set. I particularly like that knife. I would like to know more about it. The blade shape and grip look especially well done.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
I like the look of the axe Mac, read up about it on your blog.
When is it available for sale or is it still in it's infancy, quite like the idea of using one for carving spoons and kuksa's, I have been looking at getting the GB carver but have been hanging back a while.
The GB is good Hugo.
But this axe is far more comfortable to use.
drop me a line at firststeps@thewood.eclipse.co.uk
J.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Very nice set. I particularly like that knife. I would like to know more about it. The blade shape and grip look especially well done.
Hi Schwert.
The knife is a MaChris bushcrafter.
i will write a blog about it in the near future.
Chris and I have finalised the design after two years R and D
It is designed by me and made by Chris Grant, master blade smith.
Drop me a line at firststeps@thewood.eclipse.co.uk
J.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
Lovely looking tools and spoons too. Just checked out your blog which has great photos of your axe techniques. Haven't used an axe for that stage of carving so really interesting food for thought. Thanks for sharing
Glad you have found some inspiration to use an axe for the blanking out Kodiakjoe.I will have to post here with my technique.
Great to hear from you.
Best wishes.
J.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.
I love the elegance, functionality and purpose that oozes from that knife! It looks like a real pleasure to use...
It's a fast, sharp, tough knife Tiley. Very comfortable, I'm using it right now on a new ale hen. Best wishes.
j.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE