spooncarving with Jogge Sundqvist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Jogge Sundqvist is perhaps the best known teacher of spooncarving internationally. His father Wille's book inspired much of the resurgence of interest in the craft worldwide. I have met Wille several times but met Jogge for the first time last week and he is a really wonderful chap and inspirational teacher.

Here he is teaching us the chest lever grip

IMG_9789.jpg

and giving one on one instruction

IMG_9800.jpg

This cross thumbs grip was one which I have never thought worth learning but seeing Jogge do it changed my mind, he removed wood at a furious rate leaving a crisp clean bottom to the curved cut.
IMG_9821.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

His knives are gorgeous the blade is a frost 106 and when ground down to nothing he pops it out and puts a new blade in the old handle.
IMG_9842.jpg

best of all he loved my turned plates and bought a set to use at home
IMG_9880.jpg

more pics here
http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/spooncarving-with-jogge-sundqvist.html

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Popping out blade?? How cool is that!!!! :) Looks like you had a great time there Robin.
The 106 has a long thin tang which goes all the way through the handle, he fits it with white glue rather than epoxy so come the day it is ground away a well aimed blow on the back of the tang pops it out. How many of us wear out our knives though? after 15 years I have a few 106's that are 2/3 used up but I use stones more and grinders less than Jogge.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I recently got Jogge's dvd on bowl and spoon carving, amazing how much he conveyed in an hour or so of video, amazingly skilled man. Mind, he looked a fair bit younger on the dvd.

Dave

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Brilliant. You were lucky indeed to share some time with (the son of) the great man. By the way, when are we likely to see you own gorgeous looking book on spoons and spoon carving on the shelves? It's all gone very quiet at Amazon...

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Brilliant. You were lucky indeed to share some time with (the son of) the great man. By the way, when are we likely to see you own gorgeous looking book on spoons and spoon carving on the shelves? It's all gone very quiet at Amazon...
I have met Wille several times and Jogge had potential to be an anticlimax as "son of the great man" nothing could be further from the truth. He is a superb craftsman, teacher and inspirational speaker, highly recommended if you ever get the chance to see him. Hopefully couple of months for my book.

I recently got Jogge's dvd on bowl and spoon carving, amazing how much he conveyed in an hour or so of video, amazingly skilled man. Mind, he looked a fair bit younger on the dvd.

Dave
That was filmed at country workshops about 1989 or 1990 so yes he is 20 years older now.
Crossed thumb grip?
How does that go?
Not realy understanding that one...

It's an impressive cut or pair of cuts, first you sweep from tip to hilt bringing the right elbow round almost stabbing forward with the point creating a slicing cut, then you flip to the other side of the hollow you are creating and slice back from hilt to tip. There are more photos on my blog.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Carve a spoon, then see how it teaches you the cuts required to make lots of other very useful tools, or mock others with out giving it a go.

I've carved a few, and it's good fun. My comment was a joke mate, we all know carving spoons is more like 75% of bushcraft. ;)

(incase that one also alluded you, it was also a joke!)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've carved a few, and it's good fun. My comment was a joke mate, we all know carving spoons is more like 75% of bushcraft. ;)

(incase that one also alluded you, it was also a joke!)

It's true, I am sure the Lord Meers said that come the judgement day he who can not carve a spoon shall be the first to leave the Big Bushcraft house.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It's true, I am sure the Lord Meers said that come the judgement day he who can not carve a spoon shall be the first to leave the Big Bushcraft house.

You could be on to something there.

Never mind the celebrity/nonentity Big Brother narcissists; I'd watch the Big Bushcraft House!

"Tonight in the BBH, watch the inmates argue about the merits of what clothes to wear; is a tutu appropriate for the forest?"

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
...How many of us wear out our knives though? after 15 years I have a few 106's that are 2/3 used up but I use stones more and grinders less than Jogge.
Interesting to hear that Jogge's wears blades out completely & replaces them. I've seen pictures of Wille's 106s and had assumed they were worn down by a lifetime of full-time use & grinding - seems more likely that he's worn through several of them! I wonder if they use the old blades for anything (e.g. cut them down to make detail knives)?

I normally just strop my 106 or use 600 grit wet & dry sharpening sticks when edge is damaged - which cause no appreciable loss of metal, a knife might last a lifetime sharpened that way, for a hobbyist. But recently I dropped my 106 bending the tip over, snapping it off as I bent it back. So I reshaped it on my big, wet grinding wheel (probably somewhat faster than the Sundqvist's Swedish grinding wheels) - man it whipped the metal off alarmingly quickly but it took no time to re-shape the tip. The knife is now somewhat shorter as a consequence but I always found the 106 too long for comfort (& the 120 too short for general use but handy for detail & enclose areas), now it seems, as Goldilocks might say, "just right".

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
yo lucky one!

want to meet them once one time, got their books, changed alot for me!
Mora woodcarvers 4 ever!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE