Spoon.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

fielder1963

Full Member
Aug 29, 2013
427
134
Shropshire
I'm not at all practical, I have very little skill or experience, but I thought I'd carve a rustic spoon out of a birch branch today.
I used my wonderful Alan Wood MAK knife. It was great, razor sharp and comfortable. I did use a spoon knife a little to carve out the bowl. As I say, it is very rustic ,and certainly no work of art, but I was pleased with it. Here is the semi finished article, with the MAK.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200617_100910.jpg
    IMG_20200617_100910.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200617_100207.jpg
    IMG_20200617_100207.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
That's really good, with a bit of course sand paper that will shape up lovely.

I remember when I started carving, most things were unrecognisable, that you can most definitely tell is spoon, you need to post pictures of it finished.

I often enjoy the process, rather than the finished article.....that might explain a few unfinished projects....
 
If it keeps the porridge off your chin then it is a win. What's really nice to see is that you had a go with just a basic knife, that in itself makes it a challenge and a half. So definitely a result to be proud of.
 
For a lack of the appropriate carving tools, you have made splendid progress.
The weak point is the web where the bowl joins the handle. You have left that quite broad for strength.

I suggest that you look into the concept of "carving sharp" which applies to wood carving tools.
It's an economy to use fine automotive wet& dry sandpapers up to 1,500 grit then honing on a strop.

Morakniv #162, #163 and #164 are fine spoon carving tools.
A much cheaper solution will be used, worn down and discarded farrier's hoof-trimming crooked knives.
See the Morakniv #171 as an example. There are makers all over the world.
A total included bevel angle of 15 degrees is adequate.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fraxinus
No-one gets it perfect first time around, if we all did no-one would bother keeping at it and producing some works of art.
Next one will be better but for a first attempt there is nowt wrong with it.:bigok:
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE