Spoon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
I'm not at all practical, I have very little skill or experience, but I thought I'd carve a rustic spoon out of a birch branch today.
I used my wonderful Alan Wood MAK knife. It was great, razor sharp and comfortable. I did use a spoon knife a little to carve out the bowl. As I say, it is very rustic ,and certainly no work of art, but I was pleased with it. Here is the semi finished article, with the MAK.

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_100910.jpg
    IMG_20200617_100910.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200617_100207.jpg
    IMG_20200617_100207.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That's really good, with a bit of course sand paper that will shape up lovely.

I remember when I started carving, most things were unrecognisable, that you can most definitely tell is spoon, you need to post pictures of it finished.

I often enjoy the process, rather than the finished article.....that might explain a few unfinished projects....

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
If it keeps the porridge off your chin then it is a win. What's really nice to see is that you had a go with just a basic knife, that in itself makes it a challenge and a half. So definitely a result to be proud of.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For a lack of the appropriate carving tools, you have made splendid progress.
The weak point is the web where the bowl joins the handle. You have left that quite broad for strength.

I suggest that you look into the concept of "carving sharp" which applies to wood carving tools.
It's an economy to use fine automotive wet& dry sandpapers up to 1,500 grit then honing on a strop.

Morakniv #162, #163 and #164 are fine spoon carving tools.
A much cheaper solution will be used, worn down and discarded farrier's hoof-trimming crooked knives.
See the Morakniv #171 as an example. There are makers all over the world.
A total included bevel angle of 15 degrees is adequate.

Reactions: Fraxinus

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I sanded it smooth, but it was still unfinished. A friend saw it, liked it as it was, so I gave it to her.
That's nice, I do that quite often too, in cases like this it brings more joy when gifted. I personally find it is the pleasure of making something with your own two hands....particularly in the digital world that we live in.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
No-one gets it perfect first time around, if we all did no-one would bother keeping at it and producing some works of art.
Next one will be better but for a first attempt there is nowt wrong with it.:bigok:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE