spoon thread with a twist(pic heavy)

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Mods please feel free to move this thread if it isn't in the right place.

Disclaimer- I have no connection to JLT knives, Del Stubbs or Dave budd- however i am a big fan of all makers listed here and recommend the tools these people make.

I am a big fan of carving, im sure there are a few others here that are too.
over time it has been hard to find the exact knife for carving- the one that will do it all.
more than that it has been extremely hard to find the right spoon knife, ive been through a bunch.

The other day i went out and got myself a piece of Jujube which is a semi hard tree here i purposely chose a hard wood to play with, and at the same time to make somewhat of a review of some knives.

I focused on only two different knives in each category, two little carvers and two spoon knives, at the same time my main focus is on handmade tools in comparison to mass production tools. Il stop typing now.

I rough shaped the spoon with a mora triflex not shown here.
IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

after getting the right shape i started working on the bowl. using one mora model 164 and one Dave Budd spoon knife.
IMG_0525.jpg

I purposely carved out a deep and big bowl so that both knives will have a go at the bowl making.
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

I then began working on fine work and fine shaping with the two carvers.
IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

moved on to refine the bowl.
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

There is obviously more work to be done on the spoon.

Conclusions-

Little carvers-
IMO The mora is a great little carver, ive held many in my hand but for some reason it seems to be the most comfortable, i like the fact that it is abit narrow on the sides of the handle and beefy in the middle.

It is noticeable that the handle on the JLT carver is beefier and slightly more comfortable in the hand for people with bigger hands, my claws are in the medium range so im good with the mora.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

I found the JLT a little disappointing for a hand made tool. at first the blade as seen in the photo above is quite small and not very useful to its shape- on the mora the lower section of the blade can be used for taking off bigger chunks and for stronger cuts where as the JLT is less useful for that kind of cutting.
Another thing that bothers me with the JLT is that at the tip of the blade there is a bigger curve of the blade- the blade starts at a straight edge and only towards the tip curves where as the mora curves right from the beginning of the blade til the end like any true Slojd knife.
The JLT knife has a rounded spine on the blade which is quite nice when some power cuts are made, I don't really touch the spine that much when i work with carver's i touch the end of the handle more so i found that the rounded spine want something i was missing using the mora.
I am pleased with the mora and think that the knife is amazing, i feel like the only true competition is any one of Del Stubbs knives which are fantastic.
Adam from JLT knives makes some of the best tools out there and im sure for some people the carver would make a great tool, i guess it is allot about comfort and what you are used too.

Spoon knives-

IMG_0525.jpg

I guess there really isn't much to talk about, we have all complained in the past about the mora curved knife. It Is garbage and was quickly put down during this comparison.

IMG_0129.jpg

The Dave Budd hook knife is a great piece of tool with minor problems.

Pros-
* The blade comes amazingly sharp
* The curve is perfect and at the bottom of the blade there is a little part the is a little straight for some fine cuts.
* The blade stayed sharp through out the whole process and did not need any stropping.
* price is reasonable and amazing value.

Cons-
There really is only one con i can think of -
* handle is a little bit too thin for me and over long use was a little uncomfortable in the hand.

Thank you for looking,

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I organised a hook knife passaround a few years ago. I have used pretty well every hook/spoon knife on the market and try to keep examples of most of them in a collection for folk to try on courses. There really is no better way than to work for a while with each of the tools before you buy but most folk don't get the chance for that. Here are two threads from the passaround
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29676&page=1
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30569&page=1

I did a thread looking at what makes a good woodcarving knife here
http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-is-best-knife-for-woodcarving-and.html
I am a fan of the frosts 120 but the 106 is in my opinion a better knife and allows many more advanced cuts that are not possible with the 120, it also allows better carving in concave areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE