Spoon knifes with bevels on the inside of the curves!

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I found two old spoon knifes today with both the edge bevels on the inside of the curve. Every other spoon knife I got have the bevel on the outside. On these two the outside is only slighty rounded. What's the advantages? They are used and marked so I guess someone did like them.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
hmm, I'm not sure as I'm not an expert but thinking it out in my head I don't think it would make a difference. It's possible they were self made and that's what the maker preferred.

I'm sure someone will be able to shed a more informed light soon!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
inside bevel is more aggressive, it is standard for North West Coast American cultures hooks where European knives tend to be much more common with outside bevel. Both work when you are used to them.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Inside bevel are sold as right handers, outside bevel as left. I'm right handed but use an outside bevel, i find it easier and safer. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Inside bevel are sold as right handers, outside bevel as left. I'm right handed but use an outside bevel, i find it easier and safer. :)

I thought it was a left hand right hand thing too, I'm a righty and prefer the bevel on the left

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Most inside bevel hooks tend to be used in a palm up grip pushing with the wrist, it is very powerful. They tend to be double edged too rather than right and left handers.

looking at it the one with the shank is probably a good ruffing tool when used with a necklace as a pivot point

if they are flat on the back they wont hollow very well but if curved slightly that may help or at least stop it getting to point it chatters

give a go see how you like them

I would be interested in them or a borrow for a gander

ATB

Duncan

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Sharpened them now and tried them on a piece of dry pine. Work ok. Notice the hollow bevel on the one nearest the camera. I wonder if it is just hollow grind or laminated steel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE