Spoon ident

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Yup, that's a spoon. Thought I'd get that one out of the way. This is a spoon I didn't put in the other spoon thread I've started today because I have a question about it.

The wood for the spoon was taken from the piece shown above it. I just picked it out of the wood pile and assumed it was hazel. It has black fungal growth on the outside and a few insect burrows internally, so I'm not too surprised by the colouration. I would just like someone else's opinion about whether it is hazel.

Sorry that the pics are a bit small. I'm new to both digital cameras and uploading images. Apparently, clicking on them helps.

Cheers,
Leif

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It certainly looks like Hazel to me, that's what the colour of the bark says to me, anyway...........nice spoon.................atb mac

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I'd go with hazel as well, carved one myself last week, also made a hazel staff so putting my money on it. :)

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Thanks guys. More of a self-doubt thing than anything. The photos don't really show the colour of the wood that well. The darker veins are decidedly pink. Well, I've got the rest of that pole to do, so there'll be more like it.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE