Spoon Finish

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Thanks Weaver the last thing I need right now is a dose of the runs. You can find loads of finishes for wood but when you read the labels it is fine for worktops and things as Rdoull has highlighted These are not things that you put in your mouth though so it leaves you wondering if it is ok for salad or fruit bowls, spoons and the like and some of these warnings on the labels are a wee bitty scary!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Sniper,

I don't think you read or understood my complete post.

Mineral oil finish on a spoon will NOT give you "runs" or even be enough to act as a laxative.

It is the best completely safe and universally approved finish for spoons, bowls and cutting boards.

Ask British Red If my spoon has caused him any problems. In over twenty years of making spoons I have NEVER had a single complaint.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think you're taking sniper's comment a bit too seriously weaver - us Brits love to joke about our bowels you know ;)

I have to disagree with you about mineral oil being "the best completely safe and universally approved finish for spoons, bowls and cutting boards" though. There's no harm with it, but it isn't the best because it does wash out of the wood so you have to keep re-oiling the item. An oil like walnut or linseed is better because it cures after a while so as long as you don't wash it too much before it cures you will have a durable finish.

I'm not criticising you for doing what you do, if it works for you that's fine. However, when folk who just make the occasional spoon come to us for a recommendation we usually suggest walnut oil because it cures, it smells lovely, and it's a great addition to your kitchen cupboard because it makes a great salad dressing! (Unless you have a nut allergy that is.)

Nicola

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
However, when folk who just make the occasional spoon come to us for a recommendation we usually suggest walnut oil because it cures, it smells lovely, and it's a great addition to your kitchen cupboard because it makes a great salad dressing! (Unless you have a nut allergy that is.)

Nicola

Many, many more people are allergic to nuts now. And you don't know who may be when you send something out to be bought by the public. There have been children who died after eating one small part of a nut. I won't take that chance.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Many, many more people are allergic to nuts now. And you don't know who may be when you send something out to be bought by the public. There have been children who died after eating one small part of a nut. I won't take that chance.

Yep it's different when you are selling something to the public rather than using it yourself. That's why we recommend walnut for home users (with the nut allergy qualification) but use cold pressed linseed for everything we sell. I have tried but failed to find anyone who can give me a serious academic answer as to whether walnut oil sets off nut allergy sufferers so if anyone can give any clear answer I would be interested to hear it. Walnut oil is commonly used in the States by professional turners for salad bowls which has always surprised me given the keenness of lawyers over there.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I'd say they are about equally split, some like a curing finish some like oils.

Rather than best maybe I should have said Mineral oil is the most completely safe finish. In other words there is absolutely nothing in Mineral oil that will hurt anyone.

It is used for medical purposes and is even the base for baby oil. However DON'T use baby oil on a food contact product there are other things in there that will hurt you.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Rather than best maybe I should have said Mineral oil is the most completely safe finish. In other words there is absolutely nothing in Mineral oil that will hurt anyone.
Well if you want to be pedantic then I must say that cold pressed linseed oil is also absolutely completely safe - as safe as mineral oil. I'm not talking about DIY linseed oils - I'm talking cold pressed. It also cures; that's our preference, that's why we use it.

... and It's fine for you to prefer a non-curing oil ... each to their own ;)

Nicola

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sorry Weaver I meant no offence just a bit of a joke about the runs. I did read your post I'ts just my sense of humour is all. I found some walnut oil in the local supermarket and heated it in a pot of hot water and dipped the spoon into it and left it there for a few minutes, then took it out and sat it on the radiator for about half an hour before buffing it up. There is no shine but I can definately feel it as the wood seems smoother now. Would I have to coat it more than once or should that be enough?

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Boiled linseed oil warmed with a little bees wax or toasted seseme oil with a little bees wax in or walnut oil is what i use mostly, I think your getting a little excited over a miserly wipe of oil to finish the spoon ;) , your not drinking gallons of the stuff are you :confused: , once you start using it the oils in your food will keep it oiled, the spoon i use now is Hazel and ive been using it for around 2 years now, it was sealed with a couple of wipes of boiled linseed oil then left, then a wipe of seseme seed oil that was it, it gets licked clean and put in my pocket till i need it again, all this heating the spoon, frying it in oil, wrapping it in oil soaked cloth and putting it into a neuclear reactor :rolleyes: is just over kill, its a little spoon and needs a little wipe if anything.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I had to do a bit of research to find Cold Pressed Linseed Oil. When I was painting back in the seventies we didn't have such in the US.

I would like to try it.

Looks to be very expensive over here. $70/litre.

Does it hold up well in the bottle? Will it skin over? I'm wondering if I should buy a smaller bottle to try. But, if it will not go bad in the bottle I'd rather get the litre as it is a little less expensive than the tiny bits.

I'm sure I will use a litre in a year or less if I like the way it works.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yes if you want smaller quantities then in the UK most health food stores sell it as flaxseed oil. We buy large quantities because Robin oils his bowls with it too and we get it from our local agricultural merchant. They sell it to add to horse feed as it makes their coats nice and shiny I'm told! It's still not cheap - a 5l tub of it costs around £25 - but it does a good job so we don't complain.
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE