Spoon/crooked knife bevel question.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
...On the inside or outside of the curve-and why please!?
Are the Mora/Frost/Erikson ones any good or is it a job for one of our skilled makers!?
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.
Chris.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I believe if the bevel is on the outside this makes it easier to carve..bevel inside and it tends to dig in.
So, outside bevel every time.Ever seen the Svante Djarv hooks?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
No problem.
Yes ive got one of his spoon/hook knives and i think its ace!Supersharp and very nice to use.Well worth the £'s.Imo.
Ive had a go with a mora spoon kife and found the blade is too wide for me but the Djarv's are not so wide.I think Robin Wood on here done a review/pass around with a bunch of different knives?...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Did you order from Sweden?
I guess if Robin rates them!....( and you of course!! )
Cheers.
Chris.

I rate them as OK. I find beginners tend to favour the smaller, it is easier to use but being a tight curve tends to leave a ploughed field effect. The larger one is better if you can use it properly.

I recommend buying then from the Weald and Downland museum, good price and profit goes to a good cause. http://www.wealddown.co.uk/Shop/djarv handwerk tools.htm

Out of the knives that I have tried the one I rate most highly of those easily available is the Karlsson available from woodland craft supplies. It is not crystal clear different people get on with different knives. It is good to get to try as many as you can to find which suit you but as with most tools 90% of it comes down to skill in use not the tool.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thank you for that Robin,I do need advice in this area , and i hoped that you would appear to help steer me right!
I shall ring them for a chat on monday morning.
Thank you both.
Chris.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
I got one off FGYT on here, dunno if i showed you it on the exped though. Seriously nice piece of kit, and fairly reasonable price.

planning on carving out some bop poesy/prosody? ;)

take it easy Cat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE